Mr. Fernández-Lugo represents clients before local and federal agencies with jurisdiction over environmental, energy and land use matters, such as the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the Environmental Quality Board, the Department of Natural and Environmental Resources, the Solid Waste Authority, the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority, the Energy Affairs Administration, the Puerto Rico Planning Board, the Regulations and Permits Administration, and the various autonomous municipalities throughout Puerto Rico.
He also provides counseling to clients on greenfield and brownfield development, land use issues, compliance with and interpretation of environmental laws and regulations, the environmental implications of business transactions, siting and permitting of energy facilities, and negotiation of energy contracts, among others.
Mr. Fernández-Lugo represents and provides advice to clients in connection with environmental and land use matters. He represents or has represented industrial, commercial, residential, resort and energy developers in several major projects. He has also acted as environmental counsel for lenders and equity investors in the financing of energy facilities, and as counsel for the developer in renewable energy projects. Further, he is a member of the Wheeling Stakeholder Committee which includes officials from the Department of Economic Development and Commerce, the Puerto Rico Industrial Development Company, the Energy Affairs Administration, the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority, the Governor's Office and other members of the private sector.
Mr. Fernández-Lugo is ranked as one of Puerto Rico's Leading Attorneys in the Environmental field by the renowned international publication Chambers & Partners in its Latin America Guide. He is also ranked in the Environmental Law field of The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico guide. He was also recognized by Best Lawyers® as the 2017 Environmental Law "Lawyer of the Year" in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
He is a member of the Puerto Rico College of Engineers and Surveyors; the Interamerican Association of Sanitary Engineering and Environmental Sciences ("Asociación Interamericana de Ingeniería Sanitaria y Ciencias del Ambiente"); the Puerto Rico Planning Association; the Environmental Committee of the Puerto Rico Manufacturer's Association; and the Tau Beta Pi, Alpha Pi Mu and Phi Kappa Phi honor societies.
Mr. Fernández-Lugo frequently participates as speaker to industry groups and associations. Prior to joining McConnell Valdés, he served as judicial law clerk to Hon. Carmen Consuelo Cerezo, then-Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico.
Some of his representative cases include:
- He has been involved in several complex environmental cases and mass litigation, including multi-party CERCLA cases and the Río Piedras Explosion Litigation.
- Representing clients in cases dealing with spills, toxic torts, soil and groundwater contamination, permit challenges and regulatory violations, among others.
- Representing the prevailing party in the case of San Antonio Maritime, et al. v. Puerto Rican Cement Company, Inc., 2001 TSPR 16, in which the Supreme Court of Puerto Rico held that competitors have standing to intervene in administrative and permitting proceedings which concern other market participants.
News & Publications
- October 11, 2016
- June 7, 2016
- April 28, 2016
- 17 McV Attorneys listed in The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico© 2016September 11, 2015
- Twenty-six McV Attorneys Recognized in Chambers & Partners Latin America GuideJune 22, 2015
- An McV Environmental & Land Use AlertApril 18, 2017
- An McV Retail AlertApril 5, 2017
- An McV Environmental & Land Use AlertMarch 8, 2017
- An McV Energy AlertFebruary 24, 2017
- An McV Environmental & Land Use AlertFebruary 15, 2017
- An McV Energy AlertSeptember 27, 2016
- Act 133-2016 Brings Important Changes to the Net Metering Program, and Paves the Way for Community Solar and MicrogridsAn McV Energy AlertAugust 25, 2016
- Adoption of Regulation No. 8750 for the Certification of Operators of Water and Wastewater Systems and/or Treatment PlantsAn McV Environmental AlertJuly 14, 2016
- An McV Energy AlertJuly 14, 2016
- February 2, 2016
- Retail Consumer Laws, November 30, 2015
- DNER Reschedules Public Hearings and Extends Comment Period for the Proposed Amendments to the Maritime Terrestrial Zone RegulationEnvironmental, September 15, 2015
- Environmental, January 19, 2015
Member, Policy Committee
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
B.S., Magna Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico
J.D., Summa Cum Laude, Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico School of Law
Puerto Rico Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
American Bar Association, Environmental Section
American Bar Association, Energy and Natural Resources Sections
American Bar Association, Litigation Section