Mrs. Alfonso-Rodríguez focuses her practice in civil, commercial, class actions and complex litigation, including distribution contract disputes, intellectual property, securities, as well as foreclosure proceedings of multi-million dollar commercial properties. She also advises clients in the healthcare industry in Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (“HIPAA”) compliance matters.
With well over 10 years of legal experience, Mrs. Alfonso-Rodríguez is known for bringing practical and strategic thought to complex matters. As such, she successfully represented various financial institutions against purported class actions before U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico and the Court of Appeals for the First Circuit on behalf of Puerto Rican borrowers for alleged violations of multiple Federal and Local statutes, including the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (“RESPA”), the Home Affordable Modification Program (“HAMP”), the Truth in Lending Act (“TILA”) and the Home Affordable Refinance Program (“HARP”).
Before joining McConnell Valdés she worked on general corporate consultation, including contract negotiation as well as litigation before administrative and municipal agencies. She was part of the legal team that successfully secured the Court of Appeals for the First Circuit's affirmation of a bench-marking preliminary injunctive relief awarded in a case dealing with constitutional violations suffered by the local fresh milk processors, as well as the denial of the petition that sought the reversal of a substantial part of said remedy before the United States Supreme Court. Vaquería Tres Monjitas v. Irizarry, 587 F.3d 464 (1st Cir. 2009), rehearing and rehearing en banc denied at 600 F. 3d 1 (1st Cir. 2010), cert. denied at 131 S. Ct. 2441 (2011).
During law school, she was a member of the Law School Senate, worked as Research Assistant of Professor Lilia Oquendo de Rivera (Criminal Law) and completed an internship as Law Clerk for Hon. Dora Peñagarícano, in the Puerto Rico Court of Appeals.
Mrs. Alfonso- Rodríguez was recently recognized for her litigation work by Best Lawyers™ Puerto Rico.
Some of Mrs. Alfonso-Rodríguez’s other representative cases include:
- Member of the defense team representing two fuel oil suppliers against nineteen-defendants under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization (RICO) Act in the largest tort civil RICO class action brought before the U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico.
- Representation of brokerage firm in numerous FINRA arbitrations and mediations related to the purchase of Puerto Rico securities, including Puerto Rico Bonds and Closed-End Funds.
- Representation of a major financial institution in Puerto Rico against a complaint for intervention seeking nullification of a public auction of a multi-million commercial property.
- Representing Council of Owners under the horizontal property regime in claims against leading insurance provider for failure to comply with contractual obligations under insurance policy after passing of Hurricanes Irma and María.
- Member of defense team representing leading U.S. manufacturers in antitrust litigations in Puerto Rico.
- Member of defense team representing a leading U.S. provider of excess and surplus lines insurance in the transition of several hundred legal claims upon exhaustion of its aggregate limit of liability on a municipal liability policy.
- Member of team representing major U.S. agricultural equipment distributor in jury trial for claims and counterclaims under Puerto Rico distribution statute and contract law.
- Member of defense team that represented professional association against multiple complaints concerning compulsory membership and other purported constitutional rights.
News & Publications
- McV NewsAugust 21, 2019
- May 3, 2016
- An McV Litigation AlertAugust 17, 2020
- An McV Litigation AlertMarch 18, 2020
- An McV Litigation AlertMarch 17, 2020
- McV Litigation AlertMarch 16, 2020
- An McV Litigation and Real Estate AlertAugust 23, 2019
- An McV Intellectual Property AlertJanuary 29, 2018
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
B.A., University of Puerto Rico, Río Piedras Campus, 2003
- Major: Business Administration and Marketing
J.D., Cum Laude, Inter-American University of Puerto Rico School of Law,, 2006
Federal Bar Association