Her primary practice areas include general civil and commercial litigation, in federal and state courts, and administrative forums, with an emphasis on tax litigation, bankruptcy, complex litigation, including contractual disputes, foreclosures and collections, and general tort litigation. She has assisted clients with various extraordinary remedies and provisional remedies to secure post-judgment. In addition, Mrs. Suau has represented secured and unsecured creditors in various Chapter 7, 11 and 13 Bankruptcy cases.
Mrs. Suau, who was promoted to Income Member effective June 1, 2017, joined the Firm as an Associate in 2010. She is part of the team in charge of the Summer Program’s Litigation Rotation and is member of the Summer Program’s Recruiting Committee.
While in law school, she obtained the Osvaldino Rojas Lugo Award for Excellent Academic Performance in Labor and Employment Law and served as a teacher assistant in the Torts course to Professor Luis H. Sánchez Caso. Mrs. Suau was also an Associate Director for the volume forty-four, of the Inter-American University Law Review. In 2009 she published the article “El anónimo y el seudónimo, piedras angulares de la libertad de expresión en el Internet”, Inter American University Law Journal, volume forty-three, page 551.
Some of her representative cases include:
- Five for Entertainment, Inc. v. Ramón Luis Rodríguez Ayala, 15-mc-00570 (D.P.R. 2016): a high profile case involving a post-petition action under 28 U.S.C. §1983 to register a judgment entered by the Southern District of Florida in the U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico. After extensive litigation regarding the enforcement and validity of the judgment, a favorable settlement where full payment of the judgment was agreed.
- Harry de la Cruz, et als. v. McGraw-Hill Inter Americana, K AC2015-0504 (Puerto Rico Superior Court – San Juan Division, Feb. 24, 2016): successfully obtained judgment dismissing a tax withholding complaint.
- Municipality of San Juan v. Conseillers En Gestion Et Informatique, KLCE201401005, 2014 WL 7384524 (TA PR Oct. 9, 2014), denied at CC-2015-0080 (TSPR Oct. 30, 2015): case in connection with municipal license tax. The Court of First Instance denied the dismissal of the complaint. Defendants appealed the ruling and the Court of Appeals reversed the trial court. Plaintiffs filed a writ for certiorari before the Supreme Court of Puerto Rico which was denied.
- Banco Popular de Puerto Rico v. Areli Park Inc., et als, KLAN 2014-0254, 2014 WL 4406328 (TA PR Jul. 30, 2014): successful defense in a foreclosure case that involved extensive litigation regarding the Bank’s title over the mortgage property.
- OMJ Pharmaceuticals v. Municipality of San Germán, ISCI201201264 (Puerto Rico Superior Court – Mayaguez Division, Dec. 6, 2013): she was part of the team that successfully obtained summary judgment denying a multimillion dollar deficiency in a construction excise tax claim.
- Mercado Insulation Service v. TAPI Puerto Rico, Inc., G AC2011-0115 (Puerto Rico Superior Court – Guayama Division) (Nov. 15, 2012): successful defense in a breach of contract and damages claim.
News & Publications
- McV NewsAugust 21, 2019
- An McV Litigation and Real Estate AlertAugust 23, 2019
- An McV Consumer Bankruptcy AlertDecember 11, 2018
- An McV Tax Litigation AlertJune 28, 2018
- An McV Consumer Bankruptcy AlertDecember 1, 2017
- An McV Tax Litigation AlertAugust 24, 2017
- Tax Litigation, September 9, 2015
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
B.S., Loyola University, May, 2005
J.D., Magna Cum Laude, Inter-American University of Puerto Rico School of Law, June, 2010
Certified Legal Specialty
- Civil Law Notary
Federal Bar Association
American Bankruptcy Institute