Since he started practicing law in 1970, Mr. Bruno has been dedicated to litigation at both the federal and state court levels, and has developed extensive experience in environmental, commercial and maritime litigation. He has also led several complex high-profile cases, involving construction, environmental and personal injury disputes. His experience in admiralty and maritime matters has given him the opportunity of assisting the firm's clients in matters in the Dominican Republic and other areas of the Caribbean, including the United States Virgin Islands.
As member of the Product Liability and Toxic Tort Practice Area he was lead defense counsel for various pharmaceutical companies in a class action stemming from alleged toxic emissions from an industrial wastewater treatment plant to where these companies and others discharge. He was also co-chair of the plaintiffs’ steering committee in a high-profile and complex litigation stemming from a gas explosion that killed 33 people and settled for over $100 million.
Mr. Bruno served as Chair of the Litigation Practice Group from 2002 to 2014. He is ranked as one of Puerto Rico’s Leading Attorneys in the Dispute Resolution field by the renowned international publication Chambers & Partners in both its Global and its Latin America Guides and was selected by his peers for inclusion in the 2016 and 2017 Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico guides in the Litigation field.
He is a certified mediator and also an approved mediator of the United States District Court for the District of Puerto. He is member of the Permanent Committee of the Puerto Rico Supreme Court on the Rules of Civil Procedures and of the District Examination Committee for the United States District Court – Puerto Rico. He is also a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and past Chair of the Puerto Rico Committee.
- Member of team that represented a major international retailer in a tax constitutional challenge before the federal court, on Commerce Caluse, Equal Protection, and Federal Relations Act grounds. See Wal-Mart Puerto Rico, inc. v. Juan C. Zaragoza-Gomez, __ F. Supp. 3d __, 2016 WL 1183091.
- Aseguradores de Lloyd's London v. Cía. de Desarrollo Comercial de Puerto Rico, 126 P.R. Dec. 251 (1990)
- Professional Underwriters Ins. Co. v. Distribuidora Automotriz, Inc., 121 P.R. Dec. 536 (1988)
- Silva Wiscovich v. Weber Dental Mfg. Co., 119 P.R. Dec. 550 (1987)
- Calimano Díaz v. Rovira Calimano, 113 P.R. Dec. 702 (1983)
- Rodríguez Rivera v. Autoridad de Carreteras, 100 P.R. Dec. 184 (1980)
- Navieros Inter-Americanos, S. A. v. M/V Vasilia Exp., 120 F.3d 304 (1st Cir. 1997), 1997 A.M.C. 2845
- Royal Caribbean Corp. v. Puerto Rico Ports Authority, 973 F.2d 8 (1st Cir. 1992), 1993 A.M.C. 152
- Comité Pro Rescate de la Salud v. Puerto Rico Aqueduct and Sewer Authority, 888 F.2d 180 (1st Cir. 1989), 20 Envtl. L. Rep. 20,211
- Smit Americas, Inc. v. M/V Mantinia, 259 F. Supp.2d 118 (D.P.R. 2003), 2003 A.M.C. 1096, and 33 F. Supp.2d 109 (D.P.R. 1999), 1999 A.M.C. 1060
- In re Río Piedras Explosion Litigation, 106 F. Supp.2d 198 (D.P.R. 2000)
- Puerto Rico Telephone Co. d/b/a CLARO TU v. Junta Reglamentadora de Telecomunicaciones 2010 TSPR 89.
News & Publications
- McV NewsAugust 28, 2017
- An McV AlertOctober 18, 2016
- June 7, 2016
- 17 McV Attorneys listed in The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico© 2016September 11, 2015
- Twenty-six McV Attorneys Recognized in Chambers & Partners Latin America GuideJune 22, 2015
- US Court of Appeals Affirms Victory for Wal-Mart Puerto Rico Against Discriminatory Alternative Minimum TaxAn McV Tax Litigation AlertAugust 29, 2016
Leader, Maritime Practice Team
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
B.B.A., Business School of the University of Puerto Rico, 1967
J.D., University of Puerto Rico Law School, 1970
American Bar Association
Fellow American Bar Foundation
Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
Instituto Iberoamericano de Derecho Marítimo
Proctor, Maritime Law Association of the United States
Puerto Rico Bar Association