Mr. Cook is known for his practical problem solving approach to complex real estate and financing matters. Throughout his career he has worked on a number of transactions requiring novel solutions, many of which have become industry standards.
Over the years he has been involved in all aspects of real estate including: resort development, structuring of acquisitions, the permitting process at the federal and local level, structuring real estate joint ventures, planning timeshare, condominium, single-family and lot development programs, creation of protective covenants for resort communities, financing for acquisitions and construction, including AFICA bond offerings, and preparation and negotiation of construction contracts.
He has worked on conceptualizing and drafting a number of laws and regulations dealing with incentives for the development of the Tourism industry such as the The Tourism Industry Support Act of 2016, the Puerto Rico Development Act of 1993, the Timeshare and Vacation Club Act of 1988 and the Tourism Development Act of 2010. He also had a major role on the conceptualization and drafting of the Puerto Rico Film Incentive Act.
Mr. Cook is ranked as one of Puerto Rico’s Leading Attorneys in the Real Estate field by the renowned international publication Chambers & Partners in both its Global and its Latin America Guides. He is also ranked as a leading attorney by the IFLR1000, an international guide to the world's leading financial and corporate law firms. Mr. Cook is also ranked in the Real Estate Law field of The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico guide.
He is the Chairman of the Raiders Baseball Academy, a non-profit organization that develops junior players to play collegiate baseball in the USA.
The following is a brief summary of some of his accomplishments and representative transactions:
- Devised and implemented a model for a major real estate transaction that combined all the tax, investment and financing incentives available for tourism development. This model developed by Mr. Cook is still in use in Puerto Rico.
- Real Estate counsel in the development of the Puente Teodoro Moscoso, the first private toll road in Puerto Rico and the United States.
- Co-creator of the Film Industry Act, a major economic development strategy of Governor Luis Fortuño’s administration to create a new industry in the island.
- Implemented a novel financing structure for the redevelopment of the Dorado Beach Hotel. This novel model is currently being used for other similar transactions.
- Counsel to SMG for the first contract to be signed by the Puerto Rican government for the private administration of a public facility, in this case, the Coliseo de Puerto Rico.
- Oversaw the registration in New York of a Puerto Rican real estate project. He advises other Puerto Rican clients on how to market residential projects in Europe, Latin America and the USA.
- Counsel for the creation of a consortium for the economic and tourist development of Vieques and Culebra island municipalities in Puerto Rico.
- Assisted in Hospitality transactions in Barcelona, Switzerland, Morocco, and St. Martin.
- Real Estate counsel to a Puerto Rican entrepreneur in the development of Puerto Rico’s first wind farm.
News & Publications
- McV NewsSeptember 11, 2018
- Best Lawyers® Names McV "Law Firm of the Year" in Environmental Law and Intellectual Property; 26 Attorneys RecognizedMcV NewsAugust 21, 2018
- McV NewsAugust 28, 2017
- McV Hospitality Practice Team NewsAugust 17, 2017
- An McV AlertOctober 18, 2016
- Island Hospitality Partners - a partnership led by PRISA Group and McConnell Valdés Consulting Inc. - announce development of 5-acre hospitality and entertainment district in San JuanOctober 13, 2016
- June 7, 2016
- 17 McV Attorneys listed in The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico© 2016September 11, 2015
- Twenty-six McV Attorneys Recognized in Chambers & Partners Latin America GuideJune 22, 2015
- An McV Real Estate & Tax AlertJanuary 24, 2018
- An McV International & Cross Border Transactions AlertDecember 11, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs and Tax AlertMarch 8, 2017
- Puerto Rico Supreme Court Rules that a Foreclosure Judgment could be Null and Void if the Case was Not Mediated FirstAn McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertOctober 21, 2016
- An McV Hospitality AlertAugust 11, 2016
Member, Policy Committee
Leader, Hospitality Industry Practice Team
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- District of Columbia
B.A., Cum Laude, International Relations and Spanish, Dickinson College, 1978
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1981
Puerto Rico Bar Association