Mr. Freese-Souffront manages complex litigation cases, with particular emphasis on maritime and admiralty law matters, high profile commercial construction disputes, lender liability cases and insurance defense work.
He provides correspondent services to some of the most important protection and indemnity clubs in the maritime field and has successfully defended them from complex personal injury complaints and cargo claims. He has had significant bench and jury trial experience.
From 2004 to 2007, he successfully defended a multinational publicly-traded company from one of the first “whistle blower” claims brought under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act filed in Puerto Rico.
Mr. Freese-Souffront, who joined McConnell Valdés, holds two German language certificates from the University of Puerto Rico.
Some of Mr. Freese-Souffront’s representative cases include:
- Sultán v. Pleasure Craft Contender 25', 139 F. Supp. 2d 230 (DPR): Precedent-setting case raising several issues of first impression in our district concerning the supremacy of maritime law over state law
- MOAC v. Lilac Marine Corporation, 296 F.Supp.2d 91 (DPR): Finding that clients - steel bar seller and its insurer - were real parties in interest to bring COGSA claim against vessel owner, even though title to the goods had passed to buyer at port of loading, because seller had assumed buyer’s loss when it granted buyer price reductions as compensation for damage
- Matosantos Commercial Corporation v. SCA Tissue North America, LLC, 369 F.Supp.2d 191 (DPR): Granting motions in limine to exclude plaintiff’s Act 75 expert report and finding evidence of pre-existing indemnity agreement inadmissible at jury trial
- CPA Group International, Inc. v. American International Insurance Company of Puerto Rico, 202 WL 31944044 (DPR): Denying motion that sought to dismiss - under abstention grounds - the declaratory judgment complaint filed by clients in connection with multimillion dollar suit involving the North Coast Superaqueduct project
News & Publications
- McV NewsAugust 3, 2018
- An McV Litigation AlertJanuary 19, 2018
- An McV Litigation AlertJune 23, 2017
Leader, Maritime Practice Team
Chairman, Professional Development Committee
Member, Recruiting Committee
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
Bachelor of Liberal Arts, Magna Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico
J.D., Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico Law School
Puerto Rico Bar Association