Mr. Marrero-Caldero's main areas of practice include environmental litigation, compliance counseling, permitting, environmental and land-use aspects of commercial transactions, and project development. With regards to energy matters, he advises clients in aspects associated with the purchase and sale of electricity and steam, as well as in the siting and permitting of renewable energy facilities.
In the areas of compliance and permitting Mr. Marrero advises clients with respect to federal statutes, such as the CAA, CWA, CERCLA, NEPA, RCRA, TSCA, FIFRA, and OSHA, among others. With regards to Puerto Rico laws and regulations, he advises clients on the different environmental, land use, infrastructure, and health and safety programs administered by local agencies.
Mr. Marrero has managed federal environmental enforcement associated with extremely hazardous substances under Section 112(r) of the Clean Air Act, and cases involving industrial stormwater discharges and dredge and fill material under Sections 402 and 404, respectively, of the Clean Water Act.
Mr. Marrero is a member of the Puerto Rico College of Engineers and Land Surveyors and has been a speaker in numerous seminars sponsored by this entity. In 2011, he was appointed as judge to the Disciplinary Board of Engineers and Land Surveyors of Puerto Rico.
Before joining McConnell Valdés in 2008, Mr. Marrero-Caldero served as a judicial law clerk to Hon. Troadio González, Judge of the Puerto Rico Court of Appeals. In 2003, Mr. Marrero-Caldero, who is a professional engineer admitted to practice in Puerto Rico, was the recipient of Merck's Mechanical Engineering Design Award, granted to the team which presented best mechanical engineering design project in the manufacturing and pharmaceutical industry.
News & Publications
- An McV Environmental & Land Use AlertApril 18, 2017
- An McV Environmental & Land Use AlertMarch 8, 2017
- An McV Energy AlertFebruary 24, 2017
- An McV Environmental & Land Use AlertFebruary 15, 2017
- An McV Energy AlertSeptember 27, 2016
- Act 133-2016 Brings Important Changes to the Net Metering Program, and Paves the Way for Community Solar and MicrogridsAn McV Energy AlertAugust 25, 2016
- Adoption of Regulation No. 8750 for the Certification of Operators of Water and Wastewater Systems and/or Treatment PlantsAn McV Environmental AlertJuly 14, 2016
- An McV Energy AlertJuly 14, 2016
- February 2, 2016
- DNER Reschedules Public Hearings and Extends Comment Period for the Proposed Amendments to the Maritime Terrestrial Zone RegulationEnvironmental, September 15, 2015
- Environmental, January 19, 2015
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
Mechanical Engineering, Magna Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus, 2003
J.D., Magna Cum Laude, Inter-American University of Puerto Rico School of Law, 2007
Masters of Laws in Environmental Law , Cum Laude, Vermont Law School, 2008
Puerto Rico Bar Association
College of Engineers and Land Surveyors of Puerto Rico