Ms. Diez is an experienced trial attorney with over 15 years of practice with a successful litigation record representing employers.
She provides legal counseling in all areas of employment law. She actively litigates employment lawsuits and administrative matters, both in local and federal forums, with excellent results for clients.
Her practice focuses on preventive counseling and litigation in diverse topics, including wrongful termination, employment discrimination, wage and hour, retaliation and sexual harassment. Mrs. Diez has extensively worked on the creation, development and revision of employee handbooks, policies and workplace regulation.
She has vast experience in the hospitality, retail and food service industries, representing some of Puerto Rico's top companies in these areas.
- Ms. Diez successfully represented one of Puerto Rico's principal shopping malls in a claim brought by a tenant’s employee who alleged she was sexually harassed by an employee of the mall. In this normative case, the Supreme Court held that to be liable for sexual harassment it is necessary that there be a employee-employer relationship. Soneshka Semidey v. Plaza Carolina and Coffee Chef, CC-2011-0703.
- She obtained the dismissal of plaintiff’s unjust dismissal and age discrimination claims. The Court granted Summary Judgment on behalf of the Company validating the Company’s position that refusing to participate in a performance improvement plan should be considered as a voluntary resignation. Ramón Vega v. Altria, Civil No. JPE 2014-0381.
- Successfully obtained the dismissal of plaintiff’s sexual orientation claim. The Court granted Summary Judgment on behalf of her client, validating the Company’s position that it was not liable against plaintiff’s discrimination claim since she was not employed by the Company. Sharyzmer Hernández v. Coopervision and MetroGuard Services, Inc., Civil No. JPE 2014-0381.
- Successfully litigated an AAA arbitration claim against a retailer for disability discrimination. Award issued in favor of client dismissing claim, which further sustains the client's mandatory arbitration agreements. Mario Valentín v. Rent-A-Center, Case No. 32-20-1300-0163.
News & Publications
- McV Labor & Employment Practice GroupMarch 15, 2018
- McV Labor & Employment Practice GroupFebruary 13, 2018
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertFebruary 2, 2018
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJanuary 31, 2018
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertDecember 27, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertNovember 16, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertOctober 19, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertOctober 6, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertAugust 22, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertApril 10, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertMarch 13, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJanuary 10, 2017
- An McV Immigration Practice AlertNovember 15, 2016
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertOctober 21, 2016
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertSeptember 6, 2016
- The Puerto Rico Oversight, Management, and Economic Stability Act (“PROMESA”) excludes Puerto Rico from the Department of Labor’s Final Rule regarding “white collar” exempt employeesAn McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJuly 1, 2016
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJune 21, 2016
- Failure to comply with Title VII, ADA and GINA’s notice posting requirements may result in fines of up to $525 for each separate offense starting on July 5, 2016An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJune 21, 2016
- An McV Labor & Employment AlertMay 18, 2016
- March 8, 2016
- Puerto Rico Supreme Court reinforces employer’s duty to provide a private, safe and hygienic location to its working mothers who are breastfeeding.February 9, 2016
- January 7, 2016
Supervisor, Summer Internship Program
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
Bachelor of Liberal Arts, Loyola College, 1996
- Major: History
- Minor: Sociology
J.D., Cum Laude, Interamerican University of Puerto Rico School of Law, 2000
Society for Human Resource Management