Mr. González- Irizarry, who joined McConnell Valdés in 1976, is an experienced litigator with over 38 years of experience in the field.
He concentrates his practice in the areas of collections, workouts, secured and unsecured commercial transactions, lender liability, contested foreclosures, bankruptcy, and business reorganizations.
Mr. González- Irizarry has been recognized as one of Puerto Rico's Leading Bankruptcy Attorneys by Chambers & Partners, a prestigious international publication that ranks attorneys according to technical legal ability, professional conduct, client service, commercial astuteness, diligence, commitment, and other qualities valued by clients, is also ranked in the Insolvency and Reorganization Law field by The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico guide.
Throughout his career he has also litigated complex civil and commercial cases, particularly in the banking, insurance, and construction fields.
For many years Mr. González-Irizarry was contributor of West Bankruptcy Series' Bankruptcy Exemption Manual for the Puerto Rico market. He has participated as guest speaker on many conferences and seminars dealing with bankruptcy, insurance, collections and foreclosures, and mediation. He also served as part-time lecturer for the courses of Legal Research and Bankruptcy at the University of Puerto Rico School of Law.
Some of the most important accomplishments in Mr. González- Irizarry’s career include:
- In his distinguished litigation career he has appeared on multiple occasions before the Court of Appeals of Puerto Rico and the Supreme Court of Puerto Rico, the highest court in Puerto Rico. His case, Garcia Curbelo v. American Defender Life Insurance, was a precedent setting case that settled issues regarding incontestability and coverage issues.
- Representation of financial institution in workout of participated credit facility of a debtor with unpaid principal balance of over $160 million and ultimate asset sale to private investor of residential project that served as collateral of the credit facilities and foreclosure of several properties held by principal shareholder and affiliates of debtor.
- Negotiation of a work-out in a project which involved development of residential and commercial units, which owed the financial institution over $100 million dollars
- Negotiation of consent judgment that allowed one of Puerto Rico’s leading banks to minimize disruption of ongoing sales of units and maximized recovery for the bank in a construction project with a debt in excess of $16 million dollars.
- Representation of creditor in reorganization to adjust unsecured debt and allow minimal disruption of ongoing sales and warranty service operation in a Chapter 11 debtor-in-possession car distribution case.
- Lead counsel for financial institution in a $615,000,000 lender liability complaint filed against it by residents of a residential project. The case was dismissed on failure to state a claim.
- Successfully defeated defendant's motion for summary judgment on procedural and substantive issues pertaining to fidelity coverage under a Financial Institution Bond insurance policy in a case filed by Oriental Financial Group.
News & Publications
- Best Lawyers® Names McV "Law Firm of the Year" in Environmental Law and Intellectual Property; 26 Attorneys RecognizedMcV NewsAugust 21, 2018
- 17 McV Attorneys listed in The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico© 2016September 11, 2015
- Twenty-six McV Attorneys Recognized in Chambers & Partners Latin America GuideJune 22, 2015
Co-Leader, Bankruptcy Practice Team
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
B.B.A., Magna Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico, 1973
J.D., Magna Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico Law School, 1976
Certified Legal Specialty
- Civil Law Notary
Puerto Rico Bar Association
Puerto Rico Notary Association
American Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
American Bankruptcy Institute