As leader of the Government Enforcement & White Collar and Criminal Defense Practice Team Mrs. Domínguez will apply her extensive experience to advise and defend clients in criminal and regulatory investigations, enforcements, and prosecutions.
Prior to joining McConnell Valdés she served as the First Assistant U.S. Attorney in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Puerto Rico (San Juan) for eight years. During her 20 year career at the U.S. Attorney’s Office in San Juan she held several other supervisory level positions, including Deputy Chief of the Criminal Division, Acting Chief of the Criminal Division, White Collar and General Crime Chief, and Senior Litigation Counsel. Prior to this, Mrs. Domínguez worked as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Florida (Miami), for almost six years. At that office she served as Coordinator of the Armed Career Criminal, Fast Track, and Health Care Fraud Cases.
She began her career in public service as an Assistant State Attorney in the 11th Judicial District of Florida, under the leadership of former U.S. Secretary of Justice, Janet Reno. She also served as Program Director for the Department of Justice’s foreign assistance program (OPDAT) at the United States Embassy in Bogotá, Colombia for a period of three years. During her tenure with the U. S. Department of Justice she was the recipient of numerous awards and commendations, including the Attorney General Award, two time recipient of the U. S. Department of Justice’s Director’s Award for superior performance as an AUSA, four Commendations from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Commendations from the Drug Enforcement Administration, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, the Internal Revenue Service, the Commissioner of the Social Security Administration, the Inspector General of the Office of Inspector General for the Social Security Administration, and an Exceptional Service Award from the National Association of Former United States Attorneys.
During her career as a state and federal prosecutor, Mrs. Dominguez has prosecuted over 100 criminal cases, including approximately 25 jury trials, and several capital cases.
Mrs. Domínguez is a trainer with the National Institute for Trial Advocacy (NITA). She has taught Federal Jurisdiction at the UPR Law School, and currently teaches Advanced Criminal Law (White Collar Crime) and Federal Litigation at the Inter American University Law School. She has lectured extensively as a guest speaker in Puerto Rico and Latin America on issues related to Money Laundering, Financial Crimes, Public Corruption, Fraud, and organized crime.
She was recently sworn in as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers.
During her career in public service Mrs. Domínguez prosecuted over 100 criminal cases, including the most complex and high profile white collar and violent crimes cases, and she achieved an impressive conviction record. Some of the most significant trials in her public career include:
- Instituto del Sida Corruption Case – Multi defendant case involving the diversion of Federal and local funds earmarked for Aids treatment and education in the Municipality of San Juan.
- Mayor of Toa Alta prosecuted for corruption and kickback scheme.
- Caguas Federal Savings Bank Case – Multi-defendant case involving bank fraud and misapplication of funds in massive loan kiting scheme executed over almost a decade. Trial lasted 18 months and is the longest trial in the history of the First Circuit.
- Hobbs Act Robbery involving the murder of a Ranger American Security Guard. Prosecuted as a death penalty case. Trial involved guilt and sentencing phases.
- La Tómbola Massacre – prosecuted as a RICO and VICAR death penalty case. Trial involved guilt and sentencing phases.
- Attempted Carjacking Murder trial of two defendants for the murder of Stefano Steenbackers Betancourt.
As a criminal defense attorney and civil litigator, she has handled complex narcotics and financial crime cases, including:
- Successful representation of two Federal Agents in Bivens suit.
- Representation of leading dialysis provider in contract claim.
- Member of defense team representing on-line travel service provider in tax claim by Puerto Rico tax authority.
- Representation of former Commander of the Colombian AVC in criminal case in the Southern District of Florida, involving charges of drug trafficking and narco-terroism. We also represented him in OFAC proceedings.
- Representation of high level alleged Colombian drug lord in criminal prosecution in the Southern District of Florida.
- Representation of various business executives in matters before the Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC), and have successfully had them removed from OFAC list.
- Successful representation of defendant in a $25 million dollar bank fraud case.
Leader, Government Enforcement & White Collar and Criminal Defense Practice Team
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit
- State of Florida
- State of Connecticut
B.A., University of Miami
- Major: Political Science
- Minor: Business Administration
J.D., University of Miami School of Law
- Dean's Honor List
American College of Trial Lawyers
Women's White Collar Defense Association
- Puerto Rico Chapter Leader