Mr. Pérez-Bachs' areas of practice include bankruptcy, asbestos defense, products liability, civil rights and general civil and commercial litigation.
He has served as member of the Puerto Rico Supreme Court Bar Examination Committee (1981-1983); of the Bar Examination Committee; of the Bankrupty Rules Committee, Bankruptcy Court, since 1983; and since 1983 as Puerto Rico Area Chairman for the Defense Research Institute and Trial Lawyers Association.
Mr. Pérez-Bachs published Applicability of the United States Constitution and Federal Laws to the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico with Jose Cabranes and David M. Helfeld; 110 F.R.D. 449 (1985).
Some of his representative cases include:
- Canales Delgado v. Pan American World Airways, Inc., 112 D.P.R. 329 (1982): Leading Puerto Rico Supreme Court case on Warsaw Convention limitation of liability for baggage claims.
- Bonilla v. Volvo Car Corp., 150 F.3d 62 (1st Cir. 1998): Reversing $129,591,300 jury award in civil RICO case.
- Gemco Latinoamérica v. Seiko Time Corp., 61 F.3d 94 (1st Cir. 1995): Affirming $1.63 million award plus attorney's fees and costs to an attachment creditor for civil contempt against an alleged senior creditor.
- Texaco P.R. v. Department of Consumer Affairs, 60 F.3d 867 (1st Cir. 1995): Affirming denial of restitution order notwithstanding reversal of original injunction.
- American Healthcare Corp. v. Beiersdorf, Inc., 2006 WL 753001 (D.P.R. 2006): Dealer who rejected distribution contract during Chapter 11 bankruptcy case --- later dismissed --- could not sue principal.
- Salgado v. Piedmont Capital Corp., 534 F.Supp. 938 (D.P.R. 1981): Securities fraud action barred by two-year statute of limitations contained in Puerto Rico securities legislation.
- In re Nasco P.R., Inc., 117 B.R. 35 (Bkcy. D.P.R. 1990): Automatic stay lapsed under 11 U.S.C. 362(e); debtor failed to commence an 11 U.S.C. 105(a) injunction proceeding to reinstate the automatic stay.
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. Supreme Court
Bachelor of Liberal Arts, Georgetown University, 1968
L.L.B., University of Puerto Rico Law School, 1971
Puerto Rico Bar Association