Mr. Figueroa Matos’ practice encompasses the representation of companies in a wide range of industries including pharmaceutical, manufacturing, retail, health care, and service.
His practice is focused on representing management in litigation of employment disputes in state and federal courts, and administrative agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the National Labor Relations Board.
Mr. Figueroa Matos’ experience includes litigation of issues such as: wrongful termination, employment discrimination, wage and hour, retaliation, sexual harassment, violation of constitutional rights, contracts, and other employment related torts.
In addition, he has experience in family law litigation and criminal law. He has had a notable and active participation in litigating complex state cases at the appellate level and has co-authored several Puerto Rico Supreme Court and Court of Appeals briefs including U.P.R. v. Laborde Torres y Otros, 180 D.P.R. 253 (2010); Nieves Martínez v. General Instruments, Inc., 2010 WL 2798668; Alvarado Jiménez v. Motorola Electrónica, 2010 WL 5464159; and López Ginorio v. Ethicon Johnson & Johnson, Inc., 2010 WL 1418218
Apart from his employment litigation practice, Mr. Figueroa Matos regularly counsels employers on day-to-day personnel matters and practices, including the investigation of harassment and discrimination complaints, disciplinary measures, and employee terminations.
He also assists clients with the preparation of employee handbooks and personnel policies. In addition, Mr. Figueroa has experience in conducting due diligence employment audits and wage and hour audits.
Prior to joining McConnell Valdés in 2009, he worked at the Firm as a Summer Associate during 2007 and 2008. Before attending law school, he served as Trust Officer at Banco Santander, which at the time was one of the 100 largest trusts in the U.S., and the second largest in Puerto Rico. During his tenure at Banco Santander, Mr. Figueroa Matos administered retirement plan trusts, personal trusts, corporate trusts, and Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs).
News & Publications
- McV Labor & Employment Law NewsMarch 27, 2017
- McV Labor Attorneys Speakers in Upcoming SHRM Annual ConferenceJuly 9, 2015
- Nine McV Attorneys PromotedMay 11, 2015
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertApril 10, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertMarch 13, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJanuary 10, 2017
- An McV Immigration Practice AlertNovember 15, 2016
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertOctober 21, 2016
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertSeptember 6, 2016
- The Puerto Rico Oversight, Management, and Economic Stability Act (“PROMESA”) excludes Puerto Rico from the Department of Labor’s Final Rule regarding “white collar” exempt employeesAn McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJuly 1, 2016
- Failure to comply with Title VII, ADA and GINA’s notice posting requirements may result in fines of up to $525 for each separate offense starting on July 5, 2016An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJune 21, 2016
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJune 21, 2016
- An McV Labor & Employment AlertMay 18, 2016
- March 8, 2016
- Puerto Rico Supreme Court reinforces employer’s duty to provide a private, safe and hygienic location to its working mothers who are breastfeeding.February 9, 2016
- January 7, 2016
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court District of Puerto Rico
Bachelor Degree, Summa Cum Laude, Interamerican University of Puerto Rico, 2005
- Major: Accounting
J.D., Magna Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico Law School, 2009
Certified Legal Specialty
- Civil Law Notary
Puerto Rico Bar Association
American Bar Association
Hispanic National Bar Association
Association of Labor Relations Practitioners