Mr. García-Negrón main areas of practice include corporate and securities law, banking, real estate, commercial transactions, public-private partnerships, project finance and development, secured lending and securitizations.
He has broad experience counseling clients on business, legal and regulatory matters related to commercial finance, private equity, investment fund formation, private placements, general corporate financing and other capital issues to grow their businesses in an efficient manner & doing business in Puerto Rico. His securities transactional experience has included private placements for companies at various points in their life-cycle, and sponsors of venture capital firms and investment funds.
He also has a broad range of transactional experience in the energy sector, representing lenders, investors, tax equity, lessees and developers in the acquisition, divestiture, development and financing of residential, commercial and industrial renewable energy projects.
He has served as counsel in multiple corporate reorganizations, credit refinancing and restructurings, and real estate divestitures of manufacturing and telecommunications companies in Puerto Rico.
He has been guest speaker at several events, including a seminar sponsored by the Corporate Committee of the Puerto Rico Bar Association, San Juan, Puerto Rico, where he spoke about the new Puerto Rico Commercial Transactions Act (PR-UCC), Chapter 9: Secured Transactions, and a networking event for Venture Investing in Puerto Rico sponsored by The Spectrum Group in San Juan, Puerto Rico, where he discussed the Puerto Rico Private Equity Funds Act.
Before joining the firm, he worked at BearingPoint, Inc. as Senior Management Analyst where he developed solutions to prepare banks and financial services companies to meet Basel II Capital Accord and federal banking regulations on capital requirements and risk control, as well as streamline operations and incorporate technology into their business.
He joined McConnell Valdés as a Summer Associate during the summers of 2007 and 2008, and as a Law Clerk for the Corporate Practice Group from September, 2007 to November, 2008. While in law school, Mr. García Negrón was a student practitioner in the Community Development Legal Aid Clinic, and a member of the Pro Bono Practice. He obtained the highest score at the Puerto Rico Bar Exam.
Mr. García Negrón was a NCAA Division I Athlete and Team Captain (2003-04) of the Ohio State University Men’s Volleyball Team (2001-04).
- Real Estate counsel in the development and financing of a $209 million regional wind renewable energy project, as well as the development and acquisition of multiple solar energy projects.
- Served as local counsel to Autopistas Metropolitanas de Puerto Rico LLC, an Abertis/Goldman Sachs consortium that was awarded a concession to operate and maintain two major toll roads in Puerto Rico. This is the first public-private partnership project developed under the Puerto Rico Public Private Partnerships Act of 2009.
- Liberty Cable's acquisition of OneLink and Choice Cable.
- Served as bond counsel and underwriter’s counsel in bond issues of Puerto Rico Industrial, Tourist, Educational, Medical and Environmental Control Facilities Financing Authority (AFICA) and Puerto Rico Public Finance Authority.
News & Publications
- Ricardo J García-Negrón participates as panelist during Grupo Guayacan’s 20th Anniversary ConferenceOctober 3, 2016
- May 3, 2016
- Nine McV Attorneys PromotedMay 11, 2015
- McV serves as local counsel in Liberty Global’s acquisition of Choice Cable TVDecember 10, 2014
- An McV Securities & Tax AlertDecember 19, 2016
- An McV Corporate AlertJune 22, 2016
- An McV Corporate AlertMarch 11, 2016
- Commonwealth Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
B.S., Magna Cum Laude, Max M. Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University, 2004
- Major: Finance
J.D., Magna Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico Law School, 2009
Certified Legal Specialty
- Civil Law Notary
Puerto Rico Bar Association
American Bar Association