Mr. García-Negrón is a securities and corporate attorney who focuses on providing practical advice and creative solutions to clients in a wide variety of industries, including domestic and foreign banking and financial services, investment management, hospitality, real estate, education, telecommunications, life sciences, healthcare, aviation and energy. He is also very active in the entrepreneur ecosystem in Puerto Rico.
He provides advise on a broad range of matters, including corporate reorganizations, mergers & acquisitions, capital-raising transactions and securities regulatory compliance, secured transactions, project finance and infrastructure/private-public partnerships. He works extensively with U.S. and international law firms as special local counsel in Puerto Rico for lending transactions, project financings and other complex financial transactions.
His securities transactional experience includes public and private financing offerings, including securities offerings and private placements for emerging and mid-market companies, and venture capital and private equity funds. He advises investment funds and emerging companies in connection with their formation, fundraising, governance and investment activities, including doing business in Puerto Rico.
Mr. García-Negrón also has a broad range of domestic and cross-border transactional experience in the energy sector, representing private equity sponsors, lenders, investors, developers and lessees in the development, acquisition and divestiture of commercial and industrial wind, solar, CHP projects, as well as residential renewable energy portfolios.
He is an active member of the Firm’s Pro Bono Program, providing assistance to emerging companies and non-profit organizations.
He has been guest speaker at several events, including a seminar on the Puerto Rico Commercial Transactions Act (PR-UCC), Chapter 9: Secured Transactions, and a networking event for Venture Investing in Puerto Rico discussing the Puerto Rico Private Equity Funds Act.
He joined McConnell Valdés as a Summer Associate in 2007. While in law school, he was a student practitioner in the Community Development Legal Aid Clinic, and a member of the Pro Bono Practice. He obtained the highest score at the Puerto Rico Bar Exam.
Before joining the Firm, he worked at BearingPoint, Inc. as Senior Management Analyst where he developed solutions to prepare banks and financial services companies to meet Basel II Capital Accord and federal banking regulations on capital requirements and risk control, as well as streamline operations and incorporate technology into their business.
He was a NCAA Division I Athlete and Team Captain (2003-04) of the Ohio State University Men’s Volleyball Team (2001-04).
- Seller’s counsel in connection with the $25 million sale of two hospitals in Puerto Rico and the redemption and repayment of outstanding AFICA Bonds (Tourism Revenue Refunding Bonds, 1999 Series A), which at the time had an outstanding par amount of $17.11 million.
- Counsel in the formation and fundraising of Guayacán Fund of Funds IV, L.P., with a successful capital raise of $84.1M, the largest fund in the Guayacán Family of Funds and also the largest private equity fund raised in Puerto Rico to date.
- Counsel in the formation and fundraising of Guayacán Fund of Funds V, L.P.
- Counsel in the formation and fundraising of the Puerto Rico IDEA Seed Fund, LLC, a new vehicle providing early stage risk capital for local ventures under an unprecedented partnership between the federal government, private partners, and individual investors in Puerto Rico.
- Real Estate counsel in the development and financing of a $209 million regional wind renewable energy project, as well as the development and acquisition of multiple solar energy projects.
- Served as local counsel to Autopistas Metropolitanas de Puerto Rico LLC, an Abertis/Goldman Sachs consortium that was awarded a concession to operate and maintain two major toll roads in Puerto Rico. This is the first public-private partnership project developed under the Puerto Rico Public Private Partnerships Act of 2009.
- Local counsel in Liberty Cable's acquisition of OneLink and Choice Cable, and the consolidation of Puerto Rico cableTV industry.
- Local borrower counsel for incremental term loan facility in the amount of $85,000,000.
- Investor’s counsel in Series A round in form of convertible preferred shares of leading aviation fuel service provider in Puerto Rico.
- Counsel in the reorganization of leading private higher education institution in Puerto Rico.
- Served as bond counsel and underwriter’s counsel in bond issues of Puerto Rico Industrial, Tourist, Educational, Medical and Environmental Control Facilities Financing Authority (AFICA) and Puerto Rico Public Finance Authority.
- Represent Sol Puerto Rico Limited (owner of Shell’s business in Puerto Rico) on all service station network leasing matters.
News & Publications
- McV NewsAugust 3, 2018
- Ricardo J García-Negrón participates as panelist during Grupo Guayacan’s 20th Anniversary ConferenceOctober 3, 2016
- May 3, 2016
- Nine McV Attorneys PromotedMay 11, 2015
- McV serves as local counsel in Liberty Global’s acquisition of Choice Cable TVDecember 10, 2014
- An McV Corporate & Health Care AlertJune 20, 2018
- An McV Corporate AlertDecember 28, 2017
- An McV Corporate AlertDecember 27, 2017
- An McV Corporate AlertNovember 30, 2017
- An McV Corporate AlertNovember 29, 2017
- An McV Securities & Tax AlertDecember 19, 2016
- An McV Corporate AlertJune 22, 2016
- An McV Corporate AlertMarch 11, 2016
- Commonwealth Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
B.S., Magna Cum Laude, Max M. Fisher College of Business at The Ohio State University, 2004
- Major: Finance
J.D., Magna Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico Law School, 2009
Certified Legal Specialty
- Civil Law Notary
Puerto Rico Bar Association
American Bar Association