Mr. Méndez-Benabe main areas of practice include financial institutions regulation, securities, public finance, real estate, commercial lending, hospitality, corporate and government affairs.
He advises banks, broker-dealers, mortgage institutions, loan companies and other financial institutions on a wide range of transactions and regulatory matters.
Mr. Méndez-Benabe practices in the area of commercial real estate, where he has experience representing national banks, institutional lenders, financial institutions and borrowers in structuring the financing of hotels and shopping centers, as well as other commercial and industrial properties.
He also provides guidance to clients on all issues relating to municipal financing (general obligation, appropriation debt and revenue bond financing), including advice on deal structures related to the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, its public corporations and instrumentalities.
Mr. Méndez-Benabe served as Chief Operating Officer and Executive Vice President of the Government Development Bank for Puerto Rico, where he was responsible for overseeing the daily operations of the GDB and its various lines of business. He also served as General Counsel and Secretary of the Boards of Directors of the GDB and its subsidiaries.
Between 2003 and 2010 he worked as Legal Counsel and Executive Assistant to the Commissioner at the Office of the Commissioner of Financial Institutions and was responsible for overseeing the execution of the regulatory policy and coordinating with the FDIC the resolution and receiverships of various Puerto Rican banks.
Mr. Méndez-Benabe is member of the Board of Directors of the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo (MAC). He has undertaken doctoral studies in law at the Complutense University School of Law in Madrid, Spain and is a licensed Real Estate Broker.
Some of his recent transactions include:
- Counsel to Serralles Group on all securities matters related to the recapitalization plan of Serralles Hotel which included the purchase of the $54,370,000 Puerto Rico Industrial, Tourist, Educational, Medical and Environmental Control Facilities Financing Authority Tourism Revenue Refunding Bonds, 2006 Series A (Costa Caribe Resort Project) that were outstanding.
- Counsel in the financing of the following hospitality projects: the La Concha Renaissance Resort and the Condado Vanderbilt Hotel in San Juan, Puerto Rico, the Best Western Plus Condado Palm in San Juan, Puerto Rico and the Marriot Courtyard, Isla Verde Beach Resort.
- Counsel in the acquisition and financing of a private marina known as Villa Marina in Fajardo, Puerto Rico.
- Counsel in the acquisition and financing of the shopping center known as Oriental Plaza in Humacao, Puerto Rico.
- Counsel in the financing of the shopping center known as Doramar Plaza in Dorado, Puerto Rico.
- Local counsel to the syndicate of local banks, composed by Scotiabank de Puerto Rico, Banco Popular de Puerto Rico, FirstBank de Puerto Rico and Oriental Bank, in the negotiation for the payment of the $550 million dollar fuel line of credit to the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority.
News & Publications
- July 14, 2016
- Nine McV Attorneys PromotedMay 11, 2015
- FAFFA Approves Regulation On Procedures For Compliance With PROMESA-Certified Fiscal Plans and BudgetsAn McV Corporate AlertMay 26, 2017
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertMay 5, 2017
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertApril 5, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs AlertMarch 22, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs and Tax AlertMarch 8, 2017
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertFebruary 24, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs and Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertJanuary 30, 2017
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertJanuary 13, 2017
- An McV Securities & Tax AlertDecember 19, 2016
- An McV Government Affairs AlertNovember 9, 2016
- McV NewsSeptember 1, 2016
- An McV Corporate AlertJune 22, 2016
- An McV Corporate AlertMarch 11, 2016
- Governor Files Bill to create Board for the Financial Supervision and Economic Recovery of Puerto RicoGovernment Affairs, October 21, 2015
Chairman, Strategic Planning Committee
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico
B.A., Magna Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico, 1999
- Major: Marketing
J.D., University of Puerto Rico School of Law, 2002
Certified Legal Specialty
- Civil Law Notary