Ms. Negrón-Monge provides counseling and representation to employee welfare benefits plan sponsors, administrators, and fiduciaries relating to employee benefits issues arising in the design, administration and termination of welfare benefits plans covered by ERISA.
She also provides legal advice on issues affecting the administration of group health plans and compliance with applicable laws and regulations, such as HIPAA and COBRA. Ms. Negrón-Monge also counsels clients on employee welfare benefits issues in the context of mergers and acquisitions, drafts and revises related provisions of purchase and sale agreements, and conducts due diligence and analysis of contracting parties’ legal obligations. She has extensive experience defending employers in ERISA claims for breach of fiduciary duty, for benefits due, for interference with ERISA rights, and for statutory penalties.
Prior to joining McConnell Valdés in 1999 Ms. Negrón-Monge served as Judicial Clerk to Puerto Rico Supreme Court Judge Hon. Francisco Rebollo-López.
Ms. Negrón-Monge chairs the Special Committee on Employee Benefits of the Federal Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section.
Before focusing her practice on employee welfare benefits, Ms. Negrón-Monge counseled and represented employers in a variety of labor and employment law matters, and handled litigation in both federal and local courts, and before various administrative agencies such as the Puerto Rico Antidiscrimination Unit, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Conciliation and Arbitration Bureau, among others.
News & Publications
- McV Labor & Employment Practice GroupMarch 15, 2018
- McV Labor & Employment Practice GroupFebruary 13, 2018
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertFebruary 2, 2018
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJanuary 31, 2018
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertDecember 27, 2017
- An McV Welfare Benefits and ERISA Litigation AlertDecember 8, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertNovember 16, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertOctober 19, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertOctober 6, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertAugust 22, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertApril 10, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertMarch 13, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJanuary 10, 2017
- An McV Immigration Practice AlertNovember 15, 2016
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertOctober 21, 2016
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertSeptember 6, 2016
- The Puerto Rico Oversight, Management, and Economic Stability Act (“PROMESA”) excludes Puerto Rico from the Department of Labor’s Final Rule regarding “white collar” exempt employeesAn McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJuly 1, 2016
- Failure to comply with Title VII, ADA and GINA’s notice posting requirements may result in fines of up to $525 for each separate offense starting on July 5, 2016An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJune 21, 2016
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJune 21, 2016
- An McV Labor & Employment AlertMay 18, 2016
- March 8, 2016
- Puerto Rico Supreme Court reinforces employer’s duty to provide a private, safe and hygienic location to its working mothers who are breastfeeding.February 9, 2016
- January 7, 2016
Leader, Welfare and ERISA Litigation Practice Team
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
B.A., Cum Laude, University of the Sacred Heart
J.D., Magna Cum Laude, Interamerican University of Puerto Rico School of Law, 1997
Puerto Rico Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
Federal Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section