Ms. Román-Orozco's main areas of practice include real estate, mortgage law, commercial financing, secured transactions, banking, and estate planning.
She has served as real estate counsel in various hospitality developments and financings, including Palmas del Mar, Sheraton Old San Juan and the Dorado Ritz Reserve Hotel and branded residences. She has also served as counsel on several corporate reorganizations.
Ms. Román has participated as a speaker in various seminars, including one sponsored by the Corporate Law Commission of the Puerto Rico Bar Association regarding the amendments to the Secured Transactions chapter of the Puerto Rico Commercial Transactions Act.
While in college, Ms. Román-Orozco received the Best Finance Student Award and the All-American Scholar Award for June 2005 and a nomination for January 2006. In law school, she received the Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges Award for the years 2007 and 2008.
- Serving as part of the team of real estate local counsels in Sears Holdings Corporation’s $2.7 billion right offering and sale-leaseback transaction with Seritage Growth Properties, which involved the sale of 235 Sears- and Kmart-branded stores nationwide, including 2 Sears and 4 Kmart stores located in Puerto Rico.
- Serving as part of the team of real estate counsels on the reorganization of various shopping centers with a total asset value of over $225 million.
- Bank counsel on several commercial financing transactions granted by various financing institutions, including serving as local counsel in a refinancing transaction of low housing income properties with a total loan value of $17,946,000.
- Local counsel in the due diligence process for several acquisition transactions of self-storage facilities.
- Notary in the preparation and authorization of several estate planning documents, including complex deeds of Will and deeds of Trust, and in estate liquidation proceedings, including deeds of Inventory, deeds of partial liquidation of inheritance, private liquidation agreements, and a deed of Legate Payment Letter (carta de pago de legado).
- Local counsel and notary to deeds of prenuptial agreement of high net worth individuals, including agreements valid under the Uniform Premarital Agreement Act.
- Estate Counsel in legal proceedings before the courts, including petitions for repudiation of inheritance and legalization of holograph will.
News & Publications
- An McV Real Estate & Finance AlertMay 5, 2020
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
B.S.B.A, Magna Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico - Mayagüez Campus, 2006
J.D., Magna Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico Law School, 2009
Certified Legal Specialty
- Civil Law Notary
Puerto Rico Bar Association
Golden Key International Honor Society