Ms. González-Berríos' practice emphasis is on corporate tax and employee benefits.
She has advised taxpayers regarding both tax and tax exemption issues relating to corporate acquisitions, reorganizations and liquidations. Ms. González-Berríos has represented clients in adversarial proceedings, requests for private letter rulings and negotiations of closing agreements before the Puerto Rico Treasury Department.
Ranked as one of Puerto Rico's Leading Attorneys in the Tax field by the international publication Chambers & Partners in its Latin America Guide, Ms. González-Berríos regularly advises clients with regard to the design, implementation, ongoing administration and compliance of qualified and nonqualified retirement plans. Ms. Gonzalez-Berrios also advises plan sponsors in plan qualification and correction matters before the Puerto Rico Treasury Department. She has been actively assisting clients with the amendment and qualification of their retirement plans pursuant to the new qualification requirements under the provisions of the Puerto Rico Internal Revenue Code of 2011, as amended.
She also advises on the development, corporate structuring and tax strategies of renewable energy projects. She provides compliance counseling services to clients from the oil industry.
Prior to joining McConnell Valdés, Ms. González-Berríos was a Legal Counsel with the Internal Revenue Area of the Puerto Rico Treasury Department. While with the Puerto Rico Treasury Department, she reviewed private letter rulings concerning a broad range of issues including corporate reorganizations, pass-through vehicles, variable annuities, and employee benefits matters. She also authored and reviewed income tax legislation and regulations.
Ms. González-Berríos also worked as a Senior Tax Consulting Manager in the Tax Department of Ernst & Young in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Ms. González-Berríos has been a speaker in seminars sponsored by the Puerto Rico Society of Certified Public Accountants and the Puerto Rico Chamber of Commerce. She has also spoken for Puerto Rico Treasury Department training sessions.
She is a Certified Public Accountant.
News & Publications
- July 14, 2016
- June 7, 2016
- McV serves as local counsel in Sears Holdings Corporation’s $2.7 billion transactionJuly 8, 2015
- Twenty-six McV Attorneys Recognized in Chambers & Partners Latin America GuideJune 22, 2015
- Tax Co-Chairs AppointedAugust 5, 2014
- An McV Tax AlertMay 18, 2017
- An McV Employee Benefits AlertMay 10, 2017
- An McV Tax AlertApril 19, 2017
- An McV Retail AlertApril 5, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs AlertMarch 22, 2017
- An McV Tax AlertMarch 21, 2017
- An McV Tax Exemption AlertMarch 17, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs and Tax AlertMarch 8, 2017
- An McV Employee Benefits AlertFebruary 10, 2017
- Proposed Amendments to the Retirement Plan Provisions of the PR Internal Revenue Code of 2011 and Other Related MattersAn McV Employee Benefits AlertJanuary 19, 2017
- Proposed Amendments to the Cafeteria Plan Provisions of the Puerto Rico Internal Revenue Code of 2011An McV Employee Benefits AlertJanuary 16, 2017
- An McV Employee Benefits AlertJanuary 9, 2017
- An McV Tax AlertJanuary 9, 2017
- An McV Employee Benefits AlertDecember 19, 2016
- An McV Tax AlertOctober 26, 2016
- An McV Tax AlertOctober 5, 2016
- An McV Tax AlertOctober 4, 2016
- US Court of Appeals Affirms Victory for Wal-Mart Puerto Rico Against Discriminatory Alternative Minimum TaxAn McV Tax Litigation AlertAugust 29, 2016
- An McV Tax AlertJune 15, 2016
- PR Treasury Issues Guidance for Requesting an Additional Extension of the 6% SUT for Pre-Existing AgreementsAn McV Tax AlertJune 13, 2016
- An McV Tax AlertJune 3, 2016
- May 6, 2016
- Puerto Rico Treasury Exempts Employee Benefit Trusts from the Requirement of Annual Filing of Form 480.7(OE) and Repeals Circular Letter 12-02An McV Employee Benefits AlertMarch 17, 2016
- Puerto Rico Treasury Issues Revised Form 480.7(OE) and Changes Annual Filing Requirements of Employee Benefit TrustsAn McV Employee Benefits AlertMarch 14, 2016
- March 8, 2016
- March 1, 2016
- Reminder to Sponsors of PR Qualified Retirement Plans who adopted Plan Restatements and Qualification Amendments during 2015February 9, 2016
- January 7, 2016
- January 4, 2016
- Tax & Retail, January 12, 2015
Member, Strategic Planning Committee
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
B.B.A., Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico, 1986
J.D., Magna Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico Law School, 1989
LLM, Georgetown University Law Center, 1991
- Major: Taxation
Puerto Rico Bar Association
Puerto Rico Society of Certified Public Accountants