- An McV Employee Benefits AlertJanuary 9, 2017
- Puerto Rico Supreme Court Clarifies Juridiction of Public Bid Reviewing Board of the General Services AdministrationAn McV Bids & Government Procurement AlertJanuary 5, 2017
- An McV Employee Benefits AlertDecember 19, 2016
Circular Letter of Tax Policy 16-07 Notifies Cost-of-Living Adjustments Announced by IRS
- An McV Securities & Tax AlertDecember 19, 2016
- DACO and PR Treasury approve Joint Regulation regarding Alternative Payment Methods for Licensed Services and Commercial EstablishmentsAn McV Retail AlertDecember 1, 2016
- Department of Consumer Affairs and Solid Waste Management Authority approve Regulation to enforce the Act for the Promotion of Reusable Bags and Prohibition of Disposable Plastic BagsAn McV Retail AlertDecember 1, 2016
- An McV Immigration Practice AlertNovember 15, 2016
The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (“USCIS”) issues revised Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification)
- An McV Government Affairs AlertNovember 9, 2016
- An McV Tax AlertOctober 26, 2016
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertOctober 21, 2016
- Puerto Rico Supreme Court Rules that a Foreclosure Judgment could be Null and Void if the Case was Not Mediated FirstAn McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertOctober 21, 2016
- An McV Tax AlertOctober 5, 2016
- An McV Tax AlertOctober 4, 2016
- An McV Energy AlertSeptember 27, 2016
- An McV AlertSeptember 19, 2016
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertSeptember 6, 2016
- McV NewsSeptember 1, 2016
President Obama appoints PROMESA Board Members
- US Court of Appeals Affirms Victory for Wal-Mart Puerto Rico Against Discriminatory Alternative Minimum TaxAn McV Tax Litigation AlertAugust 29, 2016
Victory in Discriminatory Alternative Minimun Tax
- Act 133-2016 Brings Important Changes to the Net Metering Program, and Paves the Way for Community Solar and MicrogridsAn McV Energy AlertAugust 25, 2016
Act 133-2016 Brings Important Changes to the Net Metering Program, and Paves the Way for Community Solar and Microgrids
- An McV Hospitality AlertAugust 11, 2016
- Adoption of Regulation No. 8750 for the Certification of Operators of Water and Wastewater Systems and/or Treatment PlantsAn McV Environmental AlertJuly 14, 2016
Adoption of Regulation No. 8750 for the Certification of Operators of Water and Wastewater Systems and/or Treatment Plants
- An McV Energy AlertJuly 14, 2016
Approval of PREPA Revitalization Corporation’s Transition Charges
- The Puerto Rico Oversight, Management, and Economic Stability Act (“PROMESA”) excludes Puerto Rico from the Department of Labor’s Final Rule regarding “white collar” exempt employeesAn McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJuly 1, 2016
- An McV Corporate AlertJune 22, 2016
- Failure to comply with Title VII, ADA and GINA’s notice posting requirements may result in fines of up to $525 for each separate offense starting on July 5, 2016An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJune 21, 2016
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJune 21, 2016
- An McV Tax AlertJune 15, 2016
- PR Treasury Issues Guidance for Requesting an Additional Extension of the 6% SUT for Pre-Existing AgreementsAn McV Tax AlertJune 13, 2016
PR Treasury Issues Guidance for Requesting an Additional Extension of the 6% SUT for Pre-Existing Agreements
- An McV Tax AlertJune 3, 2016
- An McV Labor & Employment AlertMay 18, 2016
- May 6, 2016
Recent Developments Regarding the Value Added Tax, Forms and Procedures
- Puerto Rico Treasury Exempts Employee Benefit Trusts from the Requirement of Annual Filing of Form 480.7(OE) and Repeals Circular Letter 12-02An McV Employee Benefits AlertMarch 17, 2016
Puerto Rico Treasury Exempts Employee Benefit Trusts from the Requirement of Annual Filing of Form 480.7(OE) and Repeals Circular Letter 12-02
- Fifth Round of Amendments Easing Cuba Sanctions Regulations Issued Prior to President Obama’s Historic Trip to CubaMarch 16, 2016
The U.S. Department of the Treasury and Department of Commerce issued additional amendments to the Cuban Assets Control Regulations and Export Administration Regulations.
- Puerto Rico Treasury Issues Revised Form 480.7(OE) and Changes Annual Filing Requirements of Employee Benefit TrustsAn McV Employee Benefits AlertMarch 14, 2016
The Puerto Rico Treasury Department issues Tax Policy Informative Bulletin No. 16-08 to announce that a new version of Form 480.7(OE), Informative Return for Income Tax Exempt Organizations has been issued for taxable years 2015 and thereafter.
- An McV Corporate AlertMarch 11, 2016
New Types of Corporate Entities Authorized under Puerto Rico General Corporations Act
- March 8, 2016
Implementation of the Value Added Tax (“VAT”) Postponed until June 1, 2016
- March 8, 2016
Act 254 to Regulate the Nursing Profession in Puerto Rico
- March 1, 2016
Administrative Determination 16-01 Provides Guidance on the Transition to the Value Added Tax
- Reminder to Sponsors of PR Qualified Retirement Plans who adopted Plan Restatements and Qualification Amendments during 2015February 9, 2016
Reminder to Sponsors of PR Qualified Retirement Plans who adopted Plan Restatements and Qualification Amendments during 2015
- Puerto Rico Supreme Court reinforces employer’s duty to provide a private, safe and hygienic location to its working mothers who are breastfeeding.February 9, 2016
On January 25, 2016, the Puerto Rico Supreme Court revoked the Puerto Rico Appellate Court and reinstated the Judgment issued by the Court of First Instance favoring the employee’s exercise of her breastfeeding rights. The Court had to interpret the employer’s duty to provide an employee who is breastfeeding an adequate place where she could express breast milk during the periods allowed by law.
- February 2, 2016
Act 247-2015 aims to promote the use of reusable bags and prohibits retail stores and other commercial establishments, as of December 24, 2016, from providing plastic bags to customers.
- Amendments Ease Financing Rules on Exports and Further Facilitate Travel to CubaJanuary 28, 2016
The U.S. Departments of the Treasury and the Department of Commerce issued additional amendments to the Cuban Assets Control Regulations and Export Administration Regulations, which went into effect on January 27, 2016.
- January 26, 2016
- January 7, 2016
Amendment allows non-exempt employees to use up to five sick leave days to take care of sick or convalescent family members.
- January 7, 2016
Administrative Determination 15-25 provides guidance on sales and use tax reporting; Administrative Determination 15-26 establishes effective date for VAT provisions.
- January 4, 2016
Circular Letter of Tax Policy 15-16 notifies the cost-of-living adjustments announced by the IRS for taxable year 2016 that will apply to retirement plans qualified under the provisions of Section 1081.01 of the Puerto Rico Internal Revenue Code of 2011.
- December 3, 2015
- Retail Consumer Laws, November 30, 2015
On October 30, 2015, Governor Alejandro García Padilla signed an Executive Order banning the use of plastic bags as part of his commitment to the conservation of natural resources. The effective date of the prohibition is July 1, 2016.
- Governor Files Bill to create Board for the Financial Supervision and Economic Recovery of Puerto RicoGovernment Affairs, October 21, 2015
We summarize the most important aspects of Legislature House Bill 2718 and Senate Bill 1513, which create the Board for the Financial Supervision and Economic Recovery of Puerto Rico and approve a 5-year consolidated Economic and Fiscal Growth Plan.
- Cuba Practice Team, September 21, 2015
New amendments will further ease sanctions related to travel, telecommunications and internet-based services, business operations in Cuba, and remittances.
The content of this McV Alert has been prepared for information purposes only. It is not intended as, and does not constitute, either legal advice or solicitation of any prospective client. An attorney-client relationship with McConnell Valdés LLC cannot be formed by reading or responding to this McV Alert. Such a relationship may be formed only by express agreement with McConnell Valdés LLC.