McConnell Valdes is well positioned to respond to the emergent needs of the aviation and aerospace industries by leveraging the firm’s capabilities in regulatory and compliance, commercial transactions, real estate, environmental, tax, labor, and liability matters.
Our long-term commitment to the development of the industry in the region led us to assemble a group of professionals with keen industry knowledge and a passion for aviation.
Our Aviation and Aerospace Practice Team, the only full-scale practice of its type in Puerto Rico, represents domestic and foreign entities engaging in those industries in Puerto Rico, the USA, Latin America, and the Caribbean Basin. The team includes professionals with ample experience in aviation related activities and with postgraduate academic degrees in aviation and aerospace law.
We have a wide range of clients including air freight carriers, aircraft lessors and financers, regional, domestic and foreign air carriers, airport operators, airport concessionaires, airport service providers, business and private aviation, ground handlers, helicopter operators, part manufacturers, Part 91 (general aviation), Part 135 operators, and Part 145 repair stations.
We help aviation clients with transactional and regulatory matters associated with their operations, including issues involving Federal Aviation Regulations and policies, FAA registration and certification, safety and security issues, enforcement and compliance matters, federal and state permits and processes, Department of Transportation and Transportation Security Administration topics, and policy and procedure development and implementation.
Our team regularly counsels clients on issues specific to the aviation industry, including:
- Aircraft acquisition (lending, leasing, financing, co-ownership, fractional interests, and interchange), management, operation, maintenance, securitization, timesharing transactions, and engine and parts purchase and sale agreements and negotiations
- Air carrier registration and certification, operational and corporate structures, financing, , alliances, codeshare agreements, inter-carrier agreements, joint ventures, lease matters, operating leases, and route development
- Airport access, airport development, and airport concessionaires
- Aviation-related federal and state tax advice, including tax controversies including sales, property, excise, and income tax disputes
- Litigation on products liability, cargo, and passenger claims
- Export licensing
- Free trade zones
- Hangar development and ground leases
- Outsourcing and procurement solicitation
- Part manufacturers
- Service providers
- Telecommunications and Satellites
- Unmanned Aircraft Systems (drones)
- Warehousing and Transshipment Activities