The McConnell Valdés Environmental Regulation Practice Team draws on a proven record of success and deep bench of experience to help clients handle the full complement of environmental law issues.
Since we are members of Puerto Rico’s only self-standing Environmental, Energy & Land Use Practice groups, we bring a uniquely laser-sharp focus to every engagement.
We have substantial experience in representing clients in a range of industries, including real estate; banking; solid waste collection, transportation and disposal; pharmaceutical manufacturing; hazardous waste transportation and disposal; pharmaceutical products manufacturing; electronics manufacturing; aerospace manufacturing; retail pharmacy; shopping centers; hospitals; hotels; manufacturers; and energy and infrastructure developments.
Our clients look to us for informed, strategic counsel on environmental regulatory and compliance matters, confident that our proactive approach can help them limit exposure to costly and time-consuming environmental claims and litigation – and maintain seamless business operations. When clients are confronted with environmental challenges, our attorneys provide aggressive and vigorous representation before Puerto Rico and federal agencies, as well as in state and federal courts.
What We Do
The McConnell Valdés Environmental Regulation team:
- Advises clients in matters related to major federal and local environmental laws such as the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA), the Resource, Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Oil Pollution Act, and the Puerto Rico Environmental Public Policy Act.
- Works with environmental consultants in removal and remediation activities in sites subject to CERCLA, or Superfund, and RCRA corrective actions.
- Manages federal environmental enforcement involving hazardous substances under Section 112(r) of the Clean Air Act, as well as cases involving industrial storm water discharges and dredge and fill material under the Clean Water Act Sections 402 and 404.
- Advises clients on environmental impact statements and related documents.
- Successfully litigates complex environmental cases, including multi-party CERCLA cases and cases dealing with spills, toxic torts, soil and groundwater contamination, permit challenges and regulatory violations.
- Represents clients before local agencies, such as the Puerto Rico Environmental Quality Board, the Department of Natural and Environmental Resources, and the Solid Waste Authority.
- Represents clients before federal agencies, including the Environmental Protection Agency, and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
News & Publications
- An McV Environmental & Land Use AlertOctober 11, 2017
- Expedited Process of Act 76-2000 for the Evaluation and Permitting of Infrastructure Projects ApprovedAn McV Environmental & Land Use AlertJuly 14, 2017
- An McV Environmental & Land Use AlertMarch 8, 2017
- An McV Environmental & Land Use AlertFebruary 15, 2017
- Adoption of Regulation No. 8750 for the Certification of Operators of Water and Wastewater Systems and/or Treatment PlantsAn McV Environmental AlertJuly 14, 2016
- February 2, 2016