Today, corporate governance, regulatory compliance and control considerations are top corporate concerns. The historic passage of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 created new and expanded requirements for public companies, while establishing onerous penalties for fraudulent financial activity. As a result, businesses face a greater level of scrutiny than ever before.
The McConnell Valdés Government Enforcement & White Collar Defense team helps corporate clients navigate shifting regulatory tides by providing them with strategic counsel and practical training in corporate governance best practices they need to comply with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
As combating financial crimes has become a law enforcement priority, FBI agents stake out corporate lobbies, while CEOs and CFOs find themselves in Grand Jury rooms. The United States Department of Justice has increased enforcement of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA). Our attorneys combine extensive prosecutorial experience and bilingual skills to help businesses review their Latin America and Caribbean operations for FCPA compliance.
When the need arises, our seasoned team of litigators stands ready to advise and defend clients in criminal and regulatory investigations, enforcements, and prosecutions. Our success results from providing consistently outstanding representation to clients facing of a wide spectrum of legal challenges, including money laundering and financial crimes, narcotic related offenses and violent crimes, among others. We also provide top notch criminal defense in cases involving removal from the sanctions list maintained by the Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC).
The team is headed by an experienced former federal prosecutor and includes a former Chief Judge for the United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico, as well as litigators with exceptional trial skills and track records.
What We Do
The McConnell Valdés Government Enforcement & White Collar Defense team:
- Provides regulatory compliance training and advice
- Assists businesses in FCPA compliance
- Mounts white collar criminal defenses
- Advises and defends clients in criminal investigations, enforcements, and prosecutions
- Advises and defends clients in regulatory investigations, enforcements, and prosecutions
- Advises and defends clients involved in OFAC investigations
Representative Clients & Matters
- Successful representation of two Federal Agents in Bivens suit.
- Representation of leading dialysis provider in contract claim.
- Member of defense team representing on-line travel service provider in tax claim by Puerto Rico tax authority.
- Representation of former Commander of the Colombian AVC in criminal case in the Southern District of Florida, involving charges of drug trafficking and narco-terroism. We also represented him in OFAC proceedings.
- Representation of high level alleged Colombian drug lord in criminal prosecution in the Southern District of Florida.
- Representation of various business executives in matters before the Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC), and have successfully had them removed from OFAC list.
- Successful representation of defendant in a $25 million dollar bank fraud case.
News & Publications
- Government Enforcement & White Collar Defense Team in the News: NotiUnoAugust 13, 2015
- Government Enforcement & White Collar Defense Team in the News: Caribbean BusinessAugust 13, 2015
- Government Enforcement & White Collar Defense Team in the News: El Nuevo DíaAugust 13, 2015
- María Domínguez Joins McVJuly 6, 2015