We understand that the current economic and legislative climate in the health care industry presents new business, legal and ethical challenges. We keep abreast of developments such as the Affordable Care Act and recent Puerto Rico Supreme Court case law on the validity of certain living wills. With our experience and understanding of the health care industry, we offer strategic advice to help our clients meet new challenges, and achieve and maintain success in the highly competitive health care market place.
The practice team attorneys provide creative legal, regulatory and business solutions to a broad spectrum of health business and professional clients involved in the provision and financing of health care and related services. Our Health Care practice team is formed of attorneys in all areas of legal practice, including labor and employment law, corporate, taxes, environmental, , insurance, retirement plans and employee benefits. We also have attorneys who do lobbying in Puerto Rico and Washington D.C. and our team has attorneys who are experienced in helping clients with government strategies, compliance, audits and investigations. The fact that we have attorneys in our team who have active practice in all the areas of the law, with an emphasis on the health care industry allows us to provide cost effective services from due diligence, purchase or start up of operations and compliance audits, to the closing or sale of an operation.
Moreover, our team designs and implements strategies for integrated delivery systems, IPAs, and other physician joint ventures, acute and long-term care providers, and ancillary service providers. The team attorneys have developed corporate compliance plans for a variety of clients and routinely advise clients on compliance issues. We also counsel on health care facility construction, financing and operation, contractual arrangements, antitrust, licensing, and certification.
Our firm represents a broad range of providers and payors on compliance matters involving the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). Many clients come to us because of our skill in negotiating and drafting health facility management agreements, professional service and independent contractor agreements, and asset purchase agreements. Much of our time is spent representing clients before the Puerto Rico Health Department and before legislative committees and government agencies impacting the health field.
Our lawyers also work closely with our clients to develop the procedures and documentation that allow them to avoid litigation. When litigation is unavoidable, our attorneys aggressively defend our clients in health care and all related matters in the courts. We also represent clients before government agencies such as the Puerto Rico Department of Health, the Office of the Insurance Commissioner, and the Department of Consumer Affairs.
News & Publications
- McV Labor & Employment Law NewsMarch 27, 2017
- McV Labor & Employment Law NewsFebruary 3, 2017
- James D. Noël featured guest speaker in the Puerto Rico College of Health Services Administrators’ ConferenceMay 24, 2016
- An McV Tax & Health Care AlertJuly 1, 2020
- An McV Tax & Health Care AlertMay 5, 2020
- Puerto Rico Department of Health Extends Validity of Licenses, Permits and Certificates Expiring During COVID-19 EmergencyAn McV Health Care AlertApril 13, 2020
- Puerto Rico Department of Health Relaxes Certificate of Need and Convenience Requirements for Hospitals Seeking to Add Patient Beds During the COVID-19 CrisisAn McV Health Care AlertMarch 30, 2020
- An McV Health Care Practice Team AlertAugust 20, 2019
- An McV Health Care Practice Team AlertJune 11, 2019
- An McV Corporate & Health Care AlertJune 20, 2018
- An McV Health Care AlertOctober 13, 2017
- An McV Health Care AlertAugust 16, 2017
- An McV Labor & Employment Law AlertJune 21, 2016
- March 8, 2016