The lawyers in the McConnell Valdés Insurance Litigation team possess the industry knowledge and deep bench experience required to resolve even the most troublesome and complex insurance issues.
Our track record in insurance coverage litigation is outstanding. Our zealous defense of clients has resulted in victories in disputes concerning most major lines of insurance. Quite often, these are highly complex, multiparty actions brought in Puerto Rico and federal courts. Our clients benefit from our extensive experience in bringing such large-scale cases to successful conclusions. In addition, we represent clients before administrative and government agencies such as the Puerto Rico Treasury Department and the Office of the Commissioner of Insurance, to name but a few.
We also provide strategically targeted counsel on corporate and regulatory matters affecting the insurance business in Puerto Rico. Our team regularly assists and represents financial and insurance companies in legislative matters.
Dedicated to delivering the highest-quality comprehensive legal services and advice, our counsel regularly integrates input from lawyers across the firm, including colleagues in our Tax and Corporate practices.
What We Do
The McConnell Valdés Insurance Litigation team has successfully represented insurers facing:
- Directors and Officers (D&O) claims
- Large-scale class action claims
- Motor vehicle liability claims
- Bond insurance and fidelity coverage issues
- Municipal liability claims
- Environmental contamination matters
- Property and construction defects claims
Representative Clients & Matters
- Representation of three leading insurance companies in a multi-billion federal class action under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organization (RICO) Act alleging underlying violations of Puerto Rico’s Compulsory Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance Act.
- Representation of a leading U.S. provider of excess and surplus lines insurance in the transition of several hundred legal claims upon exhaustion of its aggregate limit of liability on a municipal liability policy, and in complex settlement negotiations with the Puerto Rico Treasury Department related to such policy.
- Representation of Puerto Rico’s largest bank and a leading insurance agency in a multi-million insurance class action filed by consumers challenging Puerto Rico’s current contingent commission framework.
- Representation of Puerto Rico’s largest bank and a leading insurance agency in a multi-million insurance class action filed by consumers claiming damages from defendants’ alleged violation of their purported fiduciary duties and conduct allegedly in restraint of commerce or trade.