As members of Puerto Rico’s only self-standing Environmental, Energy & Land Use Practice Group our Land Use team is well equipped to help clients navigate the complex, and ever-shifting tides of zoning and permitting laws and regulations.
Our experienced team represents industrial, commercial, residential, resort and energy developers of major projects in the full spectrum of government and municipal land use and permitting matters.
By sharing our broad business vision and tremendous wealth of experience with all aspects of zoning and permitting law and regulations with our clients, we are able to provide strategic, informed counsel regarding all stages of a project – from planning and design to construction and operations.
Ever abreast of developments, our team counsels and prepares clients on how proposed legislation and regulations will impact their business and land use goals.
Our practice group has received international recognition from Chambers & Partners Latin America, which also includes members of our team among the leading practitioners in the field. Additionally, several of our team members were selected by their peers as The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico 2016.
What We Do
The McConnell Valdés Land Use team provides comprehensive representation on land use and permitting issues:
- Assist clients with the permitting processes required for the development, construction and operation of their industrial, hospitality, energy, commercial and residential projects.
- Advise clients on compliance with central government and municipal land use and permitting regulations and laws.
- Represent clients before administrative agencies and the courts in connection with permit applications, compliance orders, administrative fines and other matters. We routinely appear before the Permits Management Office, the Puerto Rico Planning Board, and the various Municipal Permits Offices of Autonomous Municipalities throughout Puerto Rico.
- Challenge competing projects or land uses which may adversely affect the interests of our clients.
- Counsel clients on all aspects of commercial transactions and project development, including location approvals, construction permitting and re-zoning procedures.
News & Publications
- Expedited Process of Act 76-2000 for the Evaluation and Permitting of Infrastructure Projects ApprovedAn McV Environmental & Land Use AlertJuly 14, 2017
- An McV Environmental & Land Use AlertMarch 8, 2017
- An McV Environmental & Land Use AlertFebruary 15, 2017
- DNER Proposes Amendments to Maritime Terrestrial Zone RegulationAugust 26, 2015