He focuses his practice on the qualification and administration of Puerto Rico dual qualified retirement plans and counsels management in a variety of employee benefit related matters. He represents clients before the U. S. Department of Labor, the IRS and the Puerto Rico Department of the Treasury.
With over 20 years of experience, he has significant experience and expertise in structuring and implementing employee benefit programs, advising on a variety of Puerto Rico and federal tax issues affecting employee benefit plans and ERISA issues, establishing and qualifying both Puerto Rico and U. S. retirement plans including issues related to the underlying trusts and handling employee benefit matters in the mergers and acquisitions’ context.
He has extensive experience lobbying, as well as drafting laws and regulations, including the retirement plan provisions of the recently enacted Puerto Rico Internal Revenue Code of 2011. His practice also includes advising on a variety of employment tax matters, including advising on the taxation and reporting of severance and settlement payments.
Mr. Villafañe is regarded as one of the Island’s top employee benefits attorneys and as such, he is frequently invited to participate as speaker regarding employee benefits topics. He also provides custom-tailored seminars to his clients on a variety of employee benefit plan issues.
He is a Certified Public Accountant.
News & Publications
- New Tax AttorneysNovember 18, 2014
- An McV Tax AlertApril 25, 2018
- PR Treasury Clarifies Guidance on Eligible Distributions from PR Qualified Retirement Plans and PR IRAs to Hurricane María VictimsAn McV Employee Benefits AlertJanuary 22, 2018
- U.S. Department of Labor Announces Plan Compliance Guidance and Relief for Victims of Hurricane MaríaAn McV Employee Benefits AlertDecember 4, 2017
- PR Treasury Eases Distributions and Loans from PR Qualified Retirement Plans and PR IRAs to Hurricane Maria VictimsAn McV Employee Benefits AlertNovember 21, 2017
- An McV Tax AlertOctober 10, 2017
- An McV Tax AlertJuly 5, 2017
- An McV Tax AlertJune 29, 2017
- An McV Employee Benefits AlertMay 10, 2017
- An McV Tax AlertApril 19, 2017
- An McV Employee Benefits AlertFebruary 10, 2017
- Proposed Amendments to the Retirement Plan Provisions of the PR Internal Revenue Code of 2011 and Other Related MattersAn McV Employee Benefits AlertJanuary 19, 2017
- Proposed Amendments to the Cafeteria Plan Provisions of the Puerto Rico Internal Revenue Code of 2011An McV Employee Benefits AlertJanuary 16, 2017
- An McV Employee Benefits AlertJanuary 9, 2017
- An McV Employee Benefits AlertDecember 19, 2016
- Puerto Rico Treasury Exempts Employee Benefit Trusts from the Requirement of Annual Filing of Form 480.7(OE) and Repeals Circular Letter 12-02An McV Employee Benefits AlertMarch 17, 2016
- Puerto Rico Treasury Issues Revised Form 480.7(OE) and Changes Annual Filing Requirements of Employee Benefit TrustsAn McV Employee Benefits AlertMarch 14, 2016
- March 8, 2016
- March 1, 2016
- Reminder to Sponsors of PR Qualified Retirement Plans who adopted Plan Restatements and Qualification Amendments during 2015February 9, 2016
- January 7, 2016
- January 4, 2016
- Tax & Retail, January 12, 2015
Co-Leader, Employee Benefits Practice Team
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
B.S, Magna Cum Laude, State University in New York, 1988
J.D., Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico, 1991
LLM, Georgetown University, 1993
- Major: Taxation
Certified Legal Specialty
- Civil Law Notary
Puerto Rico Bar Association
American Bar Association
Puerto Rico Society of Certified Public Accountants