McConnell Valdés' rapidly-growing Government Affairs Practice was founded on the recognition that, to fully represent a client's interests and needs, a law firm has to be able to practice not only in court, but also before the legislative and executive branches of government. The fact is that solutions to many issues facing clients involve the very processes by which public law and policy is conceived, developed and implemented by the government. With offices in San Juan and Washington, DC, McConnell Valdés is uniquely positioned to assist clients with all aspects of the legislative and regulatory processes, both before the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the Federal governments.
Our Government Affairs attorneys provide a broad range of services, including monitoring of legislative and regulatory activity, analyzing legislative proposals, preparing position papers to be submitted to legislative committees or administrative agencies, developing and implementing overall legislative and political strategies to promote approval of favorable legislation or regulations, including drafting of proposed legislation or regulations, and lobbying for or against bills or rules.
They are seasoned professionals with many years of distinguished public service experience and come from various backgrounds, including the U.S. Congress, the Puerto Rico Legislature, La Fortaleza, corporations, major law firms, both national and local political parties and gubernatorial and presidential campaigns. They combine substantive experience, detailed knowledge of the legislative process and access to the key decision-makers, both in San Juan and Washington, DC.
During recent years, McConnell Valdés has had a significant participation in the approval of local pivotal legislation devised to improve the competitive position of Puerto Rico in the world markets, such as: the general corporations law, the law on negotiable instruments and secured transactions, tourism incentives and development statutes, amendments to deregulate credit cards, the service contracts law, the electronics transactions law, the viatical settlements law, consumer related legislation and regulations, and the Tax Incentives Act of 2008. We are currently working on key amendments on legislation which affects tax credits and pivotal economic and infrastructure development projects.
Our bilingual and bicultural practice and our intrinsic knowledge of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, State and Federal Governments and business cultures, enable us to develop effective and innovative relationships between our clients and key decision-makers in both capitals. Our Practice Team is also actively involved in associations and lobbying coalitions which allow us to be more successful in the implementation of government affairs strategies for our clients.
Our sophisticated understanding of public policy and government affairs, combined with our extensive combined experience in this field, provide the necessary tools to successfully develop and implement government relations campaigns to pursue economic and public policy initiatives on behalf of our clients. We are well-positioned to serve as the gateway for both foreign entities and United States businesses seeking opportunities in Puerto Rico.
News & Publications
- An McV Government Affairs AlertNovember 6, 2019
- Puerto Rico Supreme Court declares Succession Law Unconstitutional; Pedro Pierluisi Resigns and Secretary of Justice Wanda Vázquez-Garced Sworn-In as GovernorAn McV Government Affairs AlertAugust 7, 2019
- An McV Government Affairs AlertAugust 5, 2019
- Pedro Pierluisi Sworn-In as New Governor of Puerto Rico; Senate to Hold Confirmation Vote Monday AfternoonAn McV Government Affairs AlertAugust 2, 2019
- An McV Government Affairs AlertJuly 26, 2019
- An McV Government Affairs & Financial Institutions Practice Team AlertJune 14, 2018
- An McV Government Affairs AlertApril 2, 2018
- An Energy & Government Affairs AlertMarch 13, 2018
- An McV Government Affairs AlertFebruary 14, 2018
- An McV Government Affairs AlertJanuary 15, 2018
- An McV Government Affairs & Tax AlertDecember 19, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs AlertNovember 17, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs AlertNovember 8, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs AlertNovember 1, 2017
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertMay 5, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs AlertMarch 22, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs and Tax AlertMarch 8, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs and Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertJanuary 30, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs AlertNovember 9, 2016
- McV NewsSeptember 1, 2016
- An McV Hospitality AlertAugust 11, 2016
- Governor Files Bill to create Board for the Financial Supervision and Economic Recovery of Puerto RicoGovernment Affairs, October 21, 2015
- Local “Bankruptcy” Law for Debt-Restructuring of State-Owned Corporations SignedJune 29, 2014
- Governor of Puerto Rico Files Bill for Restructuring Debt of Public CorporationsJune 25, 2014
- Governor enacts the Jobs Now ActMarch 20, 2013
- Governor files Jobs Now ActJanuary 31, 2013
- Puerto Rico’s political landscape changes dramatically; transition process underwayNovember 13, 2012
- U.S.-Organized Political Action Committees Required to Registerand Report to Puerto Rico's Electoral ComptrollerAugust 14, 2012
- New Puerto Rico Political Campaign Financing Law ApprovedDecember 19, 2011
Government Affairs Group
- (Practice Leader)
- (Practice Leader)