His primary practice is in the area of bankruptcy, reorganization and creditors’ rights. He has extensive experience in the field and has represented local banks, among other secured and unsecured creditors, in a wide array of bankruptcy and collection litigation. He is a member of the firm’s PROMESA Task Force. He also represents clients in securities arbitration cases before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
As member of the firm’s PROMESA Task Force, Mr. Zouairabani-Trinidad represents several significant creditors in the Title III proceedings of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Puerto Rico Highways and Transportation Authority (HTA), the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA), and the Puerto Rico Public Buildings Authority (PBA).
He has been involved in the preparation, structuring and execution of different debt work-outs, forbearance and re-payment agreements with major debtors in Puerto Rico. He is experienced in collection and foreclosure actions pertaining to unsecured and secured debts for commercial, personal and mortgage loans, and has represented secured creditors and purchasers in the free and clear sale of assets and/or businesses in Bankruptcy Courts.
He has defended different type of creditors before the State Courts, District Courts and Bankruptcy Courts in the protection and pursuit of their interests, including relief from stay actions, violation of automatic stay issues, cash collateral litigation, objections to plans of reorganization, conversion or dismissal of bankruptcy proceedings, defense against litigious credit redemption claims, defense against stripping of liens, defense against claims under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, among other related lender liability controversies.
Mr. Zouairabani-Trinidad has also been engaged in civil commercial litigation in both federal and state courts. As part of his civil litigation work, he has been defendant's attorney in contracts and tort cases, including products liability controversies and municipal contracting controversies, he has been involved in RICO disputes, litigation involving the Agricultural Credit Act and the Farm Credit System, as well as other federal causes of actions.
Prior to joining the firm, he clerked for the Hon. Bankruptcy Judge Mildred Cabán Flores and worked as an attorney in the litigation department at a major San Juan firm in the areas of creditors’ rights, bankruptcy and commercial litigation.
- Representation of significant creditor in the Title III proceedings of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the Puerto Rico Highways and Transportation Authority, and the Puerto Rico Public Buildings Authority on objection to procedures for the naming of trustees for the litigation of avoidance actions, defense against objection to claims to certain General Obligation bonds, litigation on for relief from the automatic stay and certain adversary proceedings, as well as active participation in mediation efforts on these Title III cases.
- Representation of concessionaire in the Title III proceedings of the Puerto Rico Highways and Transportation Authority in the successful withdrawal of a rescission Complaint filed against it by a creditor which violated the automatic stay. In re Fin. Oversight Mgmt. Brd, Dkt. No. 13447 of Case No. 17-03283 (LTS) (June 16, 2020).
- Representation of several parties to Power Purchase and Operating Agreements in the Title III proceeding of the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority.
- Representation of creditor constituency in the Title III proceedings of the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority on matters such as responding to a motion for relief from stay to allow for the appointment of a receiver, the Oversight Board’s request for appointment of a Chief Transformation Officer, the approval of post-petition financing to debtor, the objection and litigation regarding the approval of a proposed Restructuring and Support Agreement, and objection to several bondholders’ claims.
- Representation of multiple vendors and suppliers of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico in defense of Adversary Complaints filed by the Special Claims Committee of the Financial Oversight and Management Board for Puerto Rico for avoidance actions, including preferences, fraudulent conveyances, and others.
- Representation of secured and unsecured creditors in a myriad of Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12 and Chapter 13 cases, including, but not limited to, cash collateral controversies, requests for relief from stay, requests for approval of administrative expenses, disputes on approval of critical vendors, issues on dismissal and/or conversion of bankruptcy cases, objections to claims, disputes on approval of plans of reorganization, defense of creditors in controversies of violation of automatic stay, approval of bankruptcy sale of assets free and clear of liens, claims and encumbrances, and subsequent cancellation of such liens, among other things.
- Successful representation of purchaser of the IHOP restaurants in the case of In re Cousins International Food Corp., Case No. 12-08567 (MCF).
- Representation of secured creditor in cash collateral dispute, relief from stay and eventual conversion to Chapter 7 in the bankruptcy case of In re Builders Group & Development Corp., Case No. 13-04867 (ESL)
- Successful denial of confirmation of a reorganization plan, and securing a precedent-setting decision in the District of Puerto Rico regarding applicability of the absolute priority rule in individual Chapter 11 bankruptcies in the case of In re Lee Min Ho Chen, Case No. 11-08170 (BKT)
- Representation of secured creditor in relief from stay litigation on key issue on applicability of the Single Asset Real Estate provisions under the Bankruptcy Code in the case of In re Efron Dorado, Case No. 16-00283 (MCF)
- Successful conversion to Chapter 7 liquidation in the bankruptcy case of In re Guzman & Gonzalez Management, Inc., Case No. 12-01779 (EAG)
- Member of team involved in the representation of the secured creditor in the sale of the Ciudadela commercial/residential project in the bankruptcy case of In re Miramar Real Estate Management, Inc., Case No. 11-01786 (BKT)
- Member of team involved in the representation of the secured creditor in the pending sale of certain real estate assets in the bankruptcy cases of In re Iglesia Mision Cristiana Fuente de Agua Viva, Inc., Case No. 12-07856 (MCF) and In re Concilio Mision Cristiana Fuente de Agua Viva, Inc., Case No. 12-07857 (MCF)
- Successful representation of a manufacturer before the United States District Court in the summary dismissal of certain product liability claims in the case of Bernardino Santos et al.Viera Torres et al., Civil No. 11-01602 (MEL), as sub-sequently affirmed by the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit in Santos-Rodríguez v. Seastar Sols., No. 15-2171, 858 F.3d 695 (1st Cir. 2017)
- Member of team involved in the representation of a health insurance company before the United States District Court in the successful issuance of an Injunction against the Puerto Rico Office of the Patients’ Advocate to preclude the imposition of a multibillion dollar fine in the case of MCS v. Mellado-Lopez, Civil No. 14-01223 (PG)
News & Publications
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertAugust 10, 2021
- An McV Consumer Bankruptcy AlertFebruary 4, 2021
- An McV Consumer Bankruptcy AlertJanuary 26, 2021
- US Supreme Court Validates Appointment of Members of the Puerto Rico Financial Oversight and Management BoardAn McV PROMESA Task Force AlertJune 1, 2020
- April 24, 2020
- April 8, 2020
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertMarch 26, 2020
- An McV Litigation AlertMarch 20, 2020
- An McV Litigation AlertMarch 18, 2020
- An McV Government Affairs AlertNovember 6, 2019
- An McV PROMESA Task Force AlertSeptember 30, 2019
- Puerto Rico Supreme Court declares Succession Law Unconstitutional; Pedro Pierluisi Resigns and Secretary of Justice Wanda Vázquez-Garced Sworn-In as GovernorAn McV Government Affairs AlertAugust 7, 2019
- An McV Government Affairs AlertAugust 5, 2019
- Pedro Pierluisi Sworn-In as New Governor of Puerto Rico; Senate to Hold Confirmation Vote Monday AfternoonAn McV Government Affairs AlertAugust 2, 2019
- An McV Government Affairs AlertJuly 26, 2019
- Members of the Fiscal Oversight Management Board are Subject to the Appointments Clause of the Constitution of the United States of AmericaAn McV PROMESA Task Force AlertFebruary 19, 2019
- An McV Consumer Bankruptcy AlertDecember 11, 2018
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertMay 29, 2018
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertMay 16, 2018
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertFebruary 21, 2018
- An McV Consumer Bankruptcy AlertDecember 1, 2017
- FAFFA Approves Regulation On Procedures For Compliance With PROMESA-Certified Fiscal Plans and BudgetsAn McV Corporate AlertMay 26, 2017
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertMay 5, 2017
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertApril 5, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs AlertMarch 22, 2017
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertFebruary 24, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs and Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertJanuary 30, 2017
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertJanuary 13, 2017
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico
- Bankruptcy Court for the District of Puerto Rico
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Bankruptcy Appellate Panel for the First Circuit Court of Appeals
B.A. in Computerized Information Systems, University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez Campus,2004
J.D., Interamerican University School of Law, 2007
Certified Legal Specialty
- Civil Law Notary
Federal Bar Association
American Bankruptcy Institute