PR Secretary of Health Approves Regulation on COVID-19 Preventive Measures
An McV Health Care Practice Team Alert
On August 21, 2020, the Secretary of Health approved and issued Regulation to Establish Preventive Measures for the Management of the COVID-19 Pandemic and Administrative Fines due to Noncompliance (the “Regulation”). This Regulation, which became effective immediately upon its approval, imposes certain measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and to safeguard the public health.
Pursuant to the Regulation, all Puerto Rico residents and visitors will be required to:
- Use a face mask to cover his/her nose and mouth when traveling outside his/her home. The use of a mask will not be required while in a vehicle if he/she is accompanied only by members of the household.
- Practice social distancing, by maintaining six feet apart from people outside his/her household.
- Avoid and abstain from coordinating or participating in events and activities that involve mass gatherings.
- Disinfect his/her hands when entering and exiting an establishment.
- Remain at his/her home after being exposed to any person diagnosed with COVID-19 and comply with the guidelines issued by the Puerto Rico Department of Health.
Any person who fails to comply with these measures will incur in an administrative fault and will be sanctioned with a $100 fine.
Further, owners of commercial establishments must comply with the maximum capacity mandate established under the Executive Orders issued by the Governor, and must enforce the following preventive measures:
- Use of face masks
- Disinfection of hands
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing
If a commercial establishment fails to comply with these provisions, it will be subject to a $500 fine.
The content of this McV Alert has been prepared for information purposes only. It is not intended as, and does not constitute, either legal advice or solicitation of any prospective client. An attorney-client relationship with McConnell Valdés LLC cannot be formed by reading or responding to this McV Alert. Such a relationship may be formed only by express agreement with McConnell Valdés LLC.