He concentrates his practice in the representation of hospitality industry clients. He has structured joint ventures for investments in hospitality projects and has represented developers in all aspects of the financing of these projects, including the negotiation and execution of credit agreements, guaranty agreements and mezzanine financing arrangements. He has also represented developers in the negotiation and execution of hotel management agreements with some of the principal hotel brands in the world and has represented both landlords and tenants in the negotiation of complex commercial leases and has represented U.S.-based clients in the negotiation of joint venture agreements in South America and Central America.
Mr. Pavía, who is ranked as one of Puerto Rico’s Leading Attorneys in the Corporate and Real Estate fields by the renowned international publication Chambers & Partners in its Latin America Guide, is a former partner of the law firm of Winston & Strawn, a 1,000 lawyer multinational law firm, where he represented the government of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico on all federal relations matters. He also represented the Local Redevelopment Authority for Naval Station Roosevelt Roads.
He has extensive experience advising clients on contracting with governmental agencies in Puerto Rico, and he also designs and implements legislative and executive branch strategies for clients with specific needs in those areas. From 1991 to 1993 he served as deputy director and general counsel of the Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration, the Washington, D.C. office of the Governor of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. In 2008 he was Co-Director of the Obama for America Puerto Rico Primary Campaign, responsible for coordination of all aspects of the primary campaign in Puerto Rico, including representation before the Puerto Rico Elections Commission. He was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention, prior to which he negotiated all aspects of the National Democratic Party's Platform regarding Puerto Rico. He has served as member of the Board of Directors of the Puerto Rico Tourism Company and of the Puerto Rico Hotel Development Corporation.
Some of his representative transactions include:
- Counsel for the developer of a 156-room hotel with a casino, financed through a $29 million senior credit facility, with a guarantee from the Puerto Rico Tourism Development Fund, and a first of its kind $7 million subordinated municipal loan.
- Lead counsel for of the developer of a 104-room hotel with a casino, financed through a $23.9 million senior credit facility, with a guarantee from the Puerto Rico Tourism Development Fund, and a $6 million subordinated municipal loan.
- Lead counsel for of the developer of a 126-room hotel, financed through a $18.6 million senior credit facility, with a guarantee from the Puerto Rico Development Fund, and a $3 million investment by the Hotel Development Corporation.
- Lead counsel to a U.S.-based health services organization in the acquisition and financing of a 108-bed acute care mental health facility, through a divestiture ordered by the Federal Trade Commission.
- Lead counsel to a U.S.-based health services organization in the sale of stock of various entities owning and operating acute care mental health facilities.
- Lead counsel for the restructuring of a $120 million secured debt for the development of a residential, tourism and marina resort.
- Counsel to a Regional Center approved by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to process EB-5 visa investments and to its related lending company, in structuring a $91 million transaction for the development of a 225 room full service hotel with a casino.
News & Publications
- Island Hospitality Partners - a partnership led by PRISA Group and McConnell Valdés Consulting Inc. - announce development of 5-acre hospitality and entertainment district in San JuanOctober 13, 2016
- June 7, 2016
- September 28, 2015
- Twenty-six McV Attorneys Recognized in Chambers & Partners Latin America GuideJune 22, 2015
- May 19, 2015
- An McV Government Affairs AlertNovember 9, 2016
- An McV Corporate AlertJune 22, 2016
- Fifth Round of Amendments Easing Cuba Sanctions Regulations Issued Prior to President Obama’s Historic Trip to CubaMarch 16, 2016
- An McV Corporate AlertMarch 11, 2016
- Amendments Ease Financing Rules on Exports and Further Facilitate Travel to CubaJanuary 28, 2016
- Governor Files Bill to create Board for the Financial Supervision and Economic Recovery of Puerto RicoGovernment Affairs, October 21, 2015
- Cuba Practice Team, September 21, 2015
- Cuba Practice Team, July 1, 2015
- Cuba Practice Team, January 15, 2015
- Obama Administration Charts a New Course for U.S. - Cuba RelationsDecember 23, 2014
Leader, International & Cross Border Transactions
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- District of Columbia
A.B., Cum Laude, Princeton University, 1986
1986-87, Fulbright Scholar, Bogotá, Colombia
J.D., Harvard Law School, 1990