He represents U.S. and foreign clients in complex commercial litigation, bankruptcy, workouts, foreclosure and asset repossession. Since 2013 he has been actively counseling investment funds and creditors on Puerto Rico public debt restructuring.
Mr. Arias-Larcada, who is ranked as one of Puerto Rico's Leading Attorneys in the Bankruptcy field by the international publication Chambers & Partners in its Latin America Guide, has more than 25 years of courtroom experience in numerous venues involving medical malpractice defense, the petroleum industry, telecommunications, internal company audits, critical vendor issues, and arbitration.
He also has extensive experience in bids and procurement consulting and litigation representing companies in connection with government contracts for goods and services ranging from aircraft to voting machines. In 2013, Mr. Arias-Larcada led the team that successfully negotiated a multimillion dollar sales contract for a new fleet of police helicopters, including a multi-year service agreement. He has also counseled technology clients in the acquisition of computer hardware and software for major infrastructure projects in Puerto Rico.
He regularly lectures on bankruptcy and collections and has published several articles on RICO and bankruptcy issues. He is a regular member of the faculty of the National Business Institute where he gives seminars on bankruptcy, collections and ethics. For the past 20 years he has given the bankruptcy bar review course sponsored by the Federal Bar Association.
- Representation of creditors in Super Buy Stores, Alonso & Carus, WOMETCO, Casiano Communications, CV Entertainment Corp., DF Servicing, LLC, Cellular Gallery, Atlantis Healthcare, Caguas Lumber Yard, Inc., Bora Bora, Inc., PMC Marketing Corp. d/b/a Farmacias El Amal, SEDECO, Abraham Petroleum Corporation, Dr. Pila Hospital, Damas Hospital, Phoneworks, Empresas Lausell, Swiss Chalet, Cordero Badillo, among others.
- Successful representation of stalking horse bidder in the acquisition in bankruptcy of all real estate assets, in particular the golf course and clubhouse, in the case of Coco Beach Golf Club.
- Representation of service providers in contract claims against hospitals.Local defense counsel in class action litigation involving Granuflo dialysis products.
- Bankruptcy advice to lenders and investment funds in relation to restructuring of public sector debt.
- Management for the Puerto Rico Telephone Company of commercial bankruptcy work.
- Representation of creditors and institutional lenders in major Chapter 11 bankruptcies in Puerto Rico, most notably, the reorganization cases of Emérito Estrada Rivera, Charlie Auto Sales, Inc, Redondo Construction, Nutritional Resources d/b/a Pueblo Supermarkets and La Electrónica, Inc.
- Successful bankruptcy reorganization of a Ford and Lincoln-Mercury car dealership with significant adjustment of pre-petition claims.
- Reorganization of Yogurfit stores.
- Representation of ADP, Inc. in bankruptcy reorganization of former Jaguar distributor, Euro Boutique Inc.
- Jury trial experience representing Volvo Car Corporation in a RICO and money laundering class action.
- Jury trial defense of healthcare providers in wrongful death lawsuits.
- On the plaintiffs' side, jury trial experience in age discrimination cases.
- Representation of BMW, Mitsubishi Motors and Ferrari in distribution disputes.
- Successful defense of a banking institution in multi-million dollar lender liability litigation. The United States District Court dismissed the complaint. It was affirmed in Arzuaga-Collazo v. Oriental Federal Savings Bank, 913 F.2d 5 (1st Cir. 1990).
- Successful representation of Bell Helicopter Textron in 1999 in a contentious bid challenge following the award to Bell of a government contract for a new fleet of helicopters for the Puerto Rico Police Department.
- In 2007, after years of litigation, dismissal with prejudice of a commercial dispute against multinational Schlumberger Ltd. in relation to its installation and operation of an inmate public telephone network for the Corrections Administration.
- In 2008, successful bid challenge in a multi-million dollar petroleum supply contract between Shell and the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority.
- Since 2010, representation of suppliers in government bids related to alternative energy, parolee electronic monitoring devices, technological solutions to maximize tax collections, voting machines, transportation, internet installations and public school renovation.
- Since 2013, representation of student loan creditors in bankruptcy court.
News & Publications
- Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring NewsMay 12, 2017
- June 7, 2016
- Three McV attorneys teach review courses for the Federal Bar examSeptember 23, 2015
- Twenty-six McV Attorneys Recognized in Chambers & Partners Latin America GuideJune 22, 2015
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertMay 5, 2017
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertApril 5, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs AlertMarch 22, 2017
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertFebruary 24, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs and Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertJanuary 30, 2017
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertJanuary 13, 2017
- Puerto Rico Supreme Court Clarifies Juridiction of Public Bid Reviewing Board of the General Services AdministrationAn McV Bids & Government Procurement AlertJanuary 5, 2017
- Puerto Rico Supreme Court Rules that a Foreclosure Judgment could be Null and Void if the Case was Not Mediated FirstAn McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertOctober 21, 2016
- McV NewsSeptember 1, 2016
Leader, Bids and Government Procurement Practice Team
Co-Leader, Bankruptcy Practice Team
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Bachelor Degree in Liberal Arts, Boston College, 1985
J.D., Magna Cum Laude, Inter-American University of Puerto Rico School of Law, 1988
Federal Bar Association
American Bankruptcy Institute