Court Directives Regarding Puerto Rico Lockdown
McV Litigation Alert
As many of you may know, yesterday Governor Wanda Vázquez issued Executive Order 2020-023 to make feasible the necessary closings of Government offices and the private sector, so as to counter the effects of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and control the risk of transmission in the Island.
As a result, both the Commonwealth and the federal courts have issued directives which we are summarizing below:
Matters before the Commonwealth’s courts:
- in general, all hearings that had been scheduled between March 16 and March 30 are continued
- all terms that would have expired between March 16 and April 14, will now expire on April 15
- For more details, please refer to the Supreme Court Resolution EM-2020-03
Matters before the U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico:
- all civil trials, hearings and conferences which were scheduled between March 16 and March 30 are continued, pending further order from the Court
- electronic filings will continue through CM/ECF
Changes to these directives can be expected, and we will be closely monitoring the respective courts’ websites for further amendments or revisions. As soon as changes to these directives arise we will inform you. In addition, up-to date information on the Commonwealth’s courts can be found at www.ramajudicial.pr . The US District Court for the District of Puerto Rico's information can be found at www.prd.uscourts.gov.
As you may know, even though our office is closed, we are working remotely and accessible by email or by phone.
The content of this McV Alert has been prepared for information purposes only. It is not intended as, and does not constitute, either legal advice or solicitation of any prospective client. An attorney-client relationship with McConnell Valdés LLC cannot be formed by reading or responding to this McV Alert. Such a relationship may be formed only by express agreement with McConnell Valdés LLC.
- Juan A. Marqués-Díaz
- Henry O. Freese-Souffront
- Antonio Arias-Larcada
- Alejandro Cepeda-Díaz
- Leslie Y. Flores-Rodríguez
- Arturo J. García-Solá
- Richard Graffam
- Dora Peñagarícano
- Roberto C. Quiñones-Rivera
- Eduardo A. Zayas-Marxuach
- Carmen Alfonso-Rodríguez
- Maria C. Cartagena-Cancel
- Myrgia Palacios-Cabrera
- Cecilia Suau-Badía
- Isabel Torres-Sastre