Mr. García-Díaz has over 20 years of experience in the private practice, providing counseling to clients in regulatory and compliance matters related to major federal and local environmental laws, such as CERCLA (Superfund), RCRA, Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act and the Oil Pollution Act.
He represents clients before local and federal agencies with jurisdiction over Puerto Rico environmental matters, such as the United States Environmental Protection Agency, the United States Army Corps of Engineers, the Environmental Quality Board, the Department of Natural and Environmental Resources, the Solid Waste Authority, the Energy Affairs Administration and the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority.
He has represented clients with environmental law issues in a diverse variety of industries, including real estate, banking, solid waste collection, transportation and disposal (commercial and industrial landfill operation), hazardous waste transportation, pharmaceutical products manufacturing, retail pharmacy, shopping centers, retail stores, rental car, hotels, hospitals, manufacturing and energy and infrastructure development.
He has participated in complex environmental cases, including the representation of a petroleum company in a products liability and natural resources damages multidistrict litigation, relating to the use of the gasoline additive Methyl-tert butyl ther (MTBE).
Mr. García-Díaz closely participates with environmental consultants in removal and remediation related activities in sites subject to Superfund and RCRA corrective actions. He also participates in Phase I and II Environmental Site Assessments in connection with due diligence activities and provides counsel to clients in environmental issues related to real estate transactions, leases and mergers and acquisitions. He has also acted as lecturer and speaker to the banking industry on CERCLA / Superfund and RCRA / UST liability issues associated with foreclosure of properties.
He started his career in the public service first as a staff attorney and subsequently as Director of the Legal Affairs Office of the Puerto Rico Environmental Quality Board, where he served for over two years before entering private practice in 1995.
He is ranked as one of Puerto Rico’s Leading Attorneys in the Environmental field by the renowned international publication Chambers & Partners in its Latin America Guide and is also ranked in the Environmental Law field of The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico guide.
News & Publications
- McV NewsAugust 28, 2017
- June 7, 2016
- Twenty-six McV Attorneys Recognized in Chambers & Partners Latin America GuideJune 22, 2015
- Nine McV Attorneys PromotedMay 11, 2015
- An McV Energy AlertMay 24, 2018
- Puerto Rico Public-Private Partnerships Authority Publishes Desirability and Convenience Study for Utility Scale Energy Storage SystemsAn McV Energy AlertMay 17, 2018
- McV Environmental & Land Use AlertMarch 15, 2018
- An Energy & Government Affairs AlertMarch 13, 2018
- An McV Government Affairs and Energy AlertJanuary 23, 2018
- An McV Environmental AlertJanuary 23, 2018
- An McV Government Affairs AlertJanuary 15, 2018
- An McV Energy AlertJanuary 8, 2018
- An McV Cuba Practice Team AlertNovember 17, 2017
- An McV Environmental & Land Use AlertOctober 11, 2017
- Expedited Process of Act 76-2000 for the Evaluation and Permitting of Infrastructure Projects ApprovedAn McV Environmental & Land Use AlertJuly 14, 2017
- An McV Cuba Practice Team AlertJune 23, 2017
- An McV Environmental & Land Use AlertApril 18, 2017
- An McV Environmental & Land Use AlertMarch 8, 2017
- An McV Energy AlertFebruary 24, 2017
- An McV Environmental & Land Use AlertFebruary 15, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs AlertNovember 9, 2016
- An McV Energy AlertSeptember 27, 2016
- Act 133-2016 Brings Important Changes to the Net Metering Program, and Paves the Way for Community Solar and MicrogridsAn McV Energy AlertAugust 25, 2016
- An McV Energy AlertJuly 14, 2016
- Adoption of Regulation No. 8750 for the Certification of Operators of Water and Wastewater Systems and/or Treatment PlantsAn McV Environmental AlertJuly 14, 2016
- Fifth Round of Amendments Easing Cuba Sanctions Regulations Issued Prior to President Obama’s Historic Trip to CubaMarch 16, 2016
- February 2, 2016
- Amendments Ease Financing Rules on Exports and Further Facilitate Travel to CubaJanuary 28, 2016
- Retail Consumer Laws, November 30, 2015
- Cuba Practice Team, September 21, 2015
- DNER Reschedules Public Hearings and Extends Comment Period for the Proposed Amendments to the Maritime Terrestrial Zone RegulationEnvironmental, September 15, 2015
- Cuba Practice Team, July 1, 2015
- Environmental, January 19, 2015
- Cuba Practice Team, January 15, 2015
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Bachelor of Arts , University of the Sacred Heart, 1989
- Major: Social Sciences
J.D., Pontifical Catholic University of Puerto Rico School of Law, 1992
L.L.M, The George Washington University Law School, 1993
- Major: Environmental Law
American Bar Association, section of Environment, Energy and Resources