She focuses her litigation and arbitration practice in telecommunications, securities, insurance - including healthcare insurance litigation - and intellectual property matters. She also has successfully represented clients in tax litigation and contractual disputes in the hospitality and construction industries.
Her practice encompasses all phases of litigation before administrative bodies, the Commonwealth and Federal Court. She is a member of the firm's Alternative Dispute Resolution Practice Area and has participated in various arbitrations.
Ms. Flores is the author of the chapter dedicated to Puerto Rico in the book: “El Arbitraje Comercial Internacional en Latinoamérica” published in Perú and distributed in various Latin American countries. She also assisted in editing the books: “La negociación y la mediación” and “Las cláusulas modificativas de la responsabilidad extracontractual”, both by Professor Luis Muñiz Argüelles.
Her article “Soberanía o soberano engaño: La libre asociación como alternativa descolonizadora” won the first prize at the Nilita Vientós Gastón judicial writing competition sponsored by the University of Puerto Rico Law Review.
Some of her representative cases include:
- PRTC h/n/c Claro TV, v. Junta de Reglamentadora de Telecomunicaciones, San Juan Cable LLC, h/n/c One Link Communications, 179 D.P.R. 177 (2010) : Ms. Flores was part of the team that successfully represented PRTC in a case in which the Supreme Court heard oral argument for the fist time in decades. In this normative decision, involving both administrative and telecommunications law, the Supreme Court held that a competitor does not have an unrestricted right to participate as an intervenor in an administrative proceeding wherein the local telecommunications board is evaluating whether to grant an applicant a cable franchise.
- Pfizer Pharmaceuticals, Inc. v. Municipio de Vega Baja, 182 D.P.R. 267 (2011): Represented the Pharmaceutical Industry Association as amicus curiae in this case wherein the Supreme Court upheld the validity of an industrial tax exemption decree negotiated by Pfizer with the Central Government and overturned an appellate decision that would have allowed a municipality to override the terms of the decree by taxing income at a rate that was inconsistent with the decree and the Puerto Rico Industrial Incentives Act.
- Metro Holdings, Inc. v. Banco Popular de Puerto Rico et al, 2011 PR App. LEXIS 3402: Represented the beneficiary in a case in which the applicant attempts to enjoin the payment of a letter of credit via preliminary injunction. Instead of dishonoring the draw, the issuing bank deposited with the Court the full amount of the letter of credit. The Superior Court dismissed the injunction as moot without considering whether the applicant met the requisites of the Puerto Rican version of UCC Chapter 5-109 to enjoin payment. The Appellate Court overturned the dismissal and ordered an injunction hearing which is scheduled for October 2012.
- Cruz v. Department of Justice et al, 558 F. Supp. 2d 165 (D.P.R. 2007): Obtained the dismissal of monetary claims for alleged constitutional and civil rights violations of the Office of Court Administration and various justice officials based on Eleventh Amendment immunity.
News & Publications
- May 24, 2019
- U.S. District Court Issues Sixth Amended Order Regarding Continuation of Civil and Criminal ProceedingsAn McV Litigation AlertJanuary 8, 2021
- An McV Intellectual Property AlertOctober 21, 2020
- An McV Litigation AlertAugust 17, 2020
- An McV Litigation AlertJuly 20, 2020
- An McV Corporate AlertJuly 10, 2020
- An McV Tax & Health Care AlertJuly 1, 2020
- PR Supreme Court Further Extends Deadlines for Judicial Filings, Provides New Deadline for Service of ProcessAn McV Litigation AlertMay 26, 2020
- An McV Litigation AlertMay 21, 2020
- McV Litigation AlertMay 6, 2020
- An McV Litigation AlertApril 14, 2020
- An McV Intellectual Property AlertApril 8, 2020
- An McV Intellectual Property AlertApril 2, 2020
- An McV Litigation AlertApril 1, 2020
- An McV Litigation AlertMarch 27, 2020
- An McV Litigation AlertMarch 26, 2020
- An McV Intellectual Property AlertMarch 23, 2020
- An McV Litigation AlertMarch 20, 2020
- An McV Litigation AlertMarch 18, 2020
- An McV Litigation AlertMarch 17, 2020
- McV Litigation AlertMarch 16, 2020
- McV Litigation AlertAugust 26, 2019
- An McV Tax Litigation AlertJune 28, 2018
- An McV Intellectual Property AlertJanuary 29, 2018
- An McV Tax Litigation AlertAugust 24, 2017
- Tax Litigation, September 9, 2015
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
- U.S. Court of Appeals 1st Circuit
B.A. in Public Communication, Summa Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico
J.D., Magna Cum Laude, University of Puerto Rico Law School