The McConnell Valdés Construction Litigation team has built a praiseworthy track record by successfully resolving construction disputes. We have provided strategic counsel to clients involved in some of Puerto Rico’s most complex and high profile public construction disputes, including the multimillion-dollar North Coast Superaqueduct and Urban Train cases.
Experienced in all aspects of both the private and public construction businesses, our dedicated team offers strategic litigation advice and support to industry clients, including architects, contractors and subcontractors, engineers, developers, owners, and lenders. We aggressively and effectively argue on their behalf before federal and state courts and serve as persuasive advocates in mediations and arbitrations.
Steeped in a nuts and bolts understanding of the construction industry, we offer clients practical guidance on the non-litigation aspects of their business, from contracts to closings.
We take a multidisciplinary team approach to provide our clients with outstanding representation. We regularly call on colleagues from the firm’s Corporate, Environmental, Energy & Land Use, Labor & Employment and Tax practices to help us devise creative, efficient, and cost-effective resolutions to the issues confronting our construction industry clients.
What We Do
The McConnell Valdés Construction Litigation team provides:
- Strategic litigation advice, support and representation for construction industry clients involved in a full spectrum of construction-related claims, including construction defects claims, contract disputes, and sub-contractors claims
- Representation for clients facing property and construction defects claims
- Advice on contract bidding, drafting, and negotiation and on closings
- Counsel on environmental concerns and compliance
- Guidance regarding performance under contracts
- Assistance with planning and zoning applications and bond and insurance claims
Representative Clients & Matters
- Representing a global pharmaceutical company in a $9 million construction dispute involving drilling and construction of production well required for our client’s expansion in Puerto Rico.
- We have represented international and local clients such as CBS Outdoor, Colgate-Palmolive, Lilly del Caribe, Siemens Transportation System, South American Restaurants, Corp., and Zurich American Insurance in their construction litigation matters.
- Represented a well know Puerto Rico developer at all administrative and judicial stages related to the construction permitting process from a challenge by environmental groups opposing our client's construction development. Successful representation resulted in a Puerto Rico Supreme Court opinion reversing the Court of Appeals decision, thereby allowing this construction development to go forward.