Mr. Cortés-Rexach has practiced law in Puerto Rico for over three decades, concentrating in the areas of commercial and project financing and real estate law.
His involvement in Puerto Rico’s tourism industry is extensive, having participated as counsel in a significant number of the major hotel and resort developments in the island including Rio Mar and Palmas del Mar Resorts, the the San Juan Marriott Hotel and more recently, in the Distrito T-Mobile, a multi- million entertainment development and currently Puerto Rico's premier entertainment destination.
He has extensive experience representing global manufacturing companies in both the acquisition and the disposition of their facilities in Puerto Rico. Some of these transactions have involved the transfer of ongoing operations to new operators as well as the commencement of manufacturing operations in Puerto Rico. They have also required extensive dealings with the Puerto Rico Industrial Development Company (PRIDCO), the island’s public corporation in charge of promoting manufacturing activity in Puerto Rico.
Mr. Cortés-Rexach has worked as real estate counsel in multiple renewable energy projects, including the largest wind farm in the Caribbean, a number of solar energy projects and a waste-to-energy facility. More recently, he participated in a co-generation project involving various manufacturing facilities in Puerto Rico.
He has acted as counsel to Puerto Rico and United States financial institutions, concentrating in the areas of commercial lending, real estate financing and asset-backed financing. Mr. Cortés-Rexach also has acted as counsel to financial institutions in numerous commercial and federally backed loans and other financial facilities to local hospitals. He also has experience in conduit financing, having participated in a number of public financed projects, and in capital notes issues of local financial institutions.
He has also represented a number of local and stateside developers of office buildings, shopping centers and other commercial real estate.
Mr. Cortés-Rexach is the Firm’s Chief Operations Officer and is in charge of overseeing and coordinating numerous aspects of McV’s San Juan and Miami offices’ day-to-day operations.
He is ranked as one of Puerto Rico’s Leading Attorneys in the Real Estate field by the renowned international publication Chambers & Partners in its Latin America Guide. He is also ranked in the Real Estate field of The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico guide.
News & Publications
- McV NewsAugust 21, 2019
- Best Lawyers® Names McV "Law Firm of the Year" in Environmental Law and Intellectual Property; 26 Attorneys RecognizedMcV NewsAugust 21, 2018
- McV NewsMay 18, 2018
- McV NewsAugust 28, 2017
- McV Hospitality Practice Team NewsAugust 17, 2017
- June 7, 2016
- Twenty-six McV Attorneys Recognized in Chambers & Partners Latin America GuideJune 22, 2015
- An McV Corporate AlertJuly 8, 2020
- An McV Real Estate & Finance AlertMay 5, 2020
- An McV Financial Institutions Practice Team AlertApril 14, 2020
- Puerto Rico Tourism Company Clarifies Applicability of Lockdown Executive Order as related to Hospitality IndustryMcV Hospitality Practice Team AlertMarch 15, 2020
- An McV Litigation and Real Estate AlertAugust 23, 2019
- An McV Corporate AlertAugust 7, 2019
- An McV Recovery Financing Practice Team AlertMarch 1, 2019
- Puerto Rico P3 Authority Issues Request for Public Comments on Transformation of the Electric SystemAn McV Infrastructure & Public-Private Partnerships Practice Team AlertFebruary 4, 2019
- PR Governor Presents Bill to Allow IFEs and IBEs to Offer Commercial Loans; Amendments to Acts 273-2012 and 52-1982 Also IntroducedAn McV Financial Institutions AlertJanuary 30, 2019
- An McV Infrastructure and Public-Private Partnerships Practice Team AlertDecember 19, 2018
- An McV Infrastructure and Private-Public Partnerships AlertNovember 1, 2018
- An McV Government Affairs & Financial Institutions Practice Team AlertJune 14, 2018
- An McV Real Estate & Tax AlertJanuary 24, 2018
- McV NewsOctober 4, 2017
- Puerto Rico Supreme Court Rules that a Foreclosure Judgment could be Null and Void if the Case was Not Mediated FirstAn McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertOctober 21, 2016
Chief Operations Officer
Member, Policy Committee
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
- U.S. District Court District of Puerto Rico
B.A., Boston University, 1981
J.D., Boston University School of Law, 1984
Puerto Rico Bar Association