His main areas of practice are mergers & acquisitions, commercial transactions, municipal financing, distribution & franchise laws, government bids & contracts, housing development, public-private partnerships and government & legislative affairs.
He is ranked as one of Puerto Rico's Leading Attorneys in the Corporate/Commercial field by the international publication Chambers & Partners in both its Global and its Latin America Guides. He is also ranked as a leading attorney by the IFLR1000, an international guide to the world's leading financial and corporate law firms. Mr. Céspedes is also ranked in the Corporate and M&A Law field of The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico guide.
He regularly assists clients in understanding the Puerto Rico legislative process and devising lobbying strategies to accomplish their legislation goals and in the negotiation of government contracts. He also works with clients in the drafting and interpretation of distribution and sales representation agreements, as well as entity formation and regulatory matters related to the establishment of operations in Puerto Rico.
Before joining the Firm in 1993, he worked as law clerk to then Chief Judge Juan M. Pérez-Giménez of the United States District Court for the District of Puerto Rico, and as a trial attorney in the Civil Division of the United States Department of Justice, selected as part of the Attorney General's Honors Program. He also served as Deputy Director and General Counsel of the Puerto Rico Federal Affairs Administration in Washington, D.C., and as Legal Counsel to Governor Rafael Hernández Colón.
Mr. Céspedes serves as Puerto Rico Liaison to the Corporate Laws Committee of the Business Law Section of the American Bar Association. He also serves as Director and Secretary of Corporación La Fondita de Jesús, a not for profit organization that provides assistance to homeless people in San Juan and as Trustee of Guayacán Endowment Fund, dedicated to invest in Puerto Rico's local entrepreneurial system through Grupo Guayacán.
His experience spans a wide range of practice areas. Some of his representative transactions include:
- Worked in major corporate acquisition transactions in Puerto Rico, such as America Móvil's purchase of Puerto Rico Telephone Company, Liberty Cable's acquisition of OneLink, Haemonetics' purchase of Pall Corporation's assets and Hub International's purchase of Carrión, Laffitte & Casellas' stock, as well as major corporate reorganizations (Kraft/Mondelez, Pfizer, and Covidien amongst others).
- Leading the team of Firm attorneys that assisted Autopistas Metropolitanas de Puerto Rico LLC, an Abertis/Goldman Sachs consortium that was awarded a concession to operate and maintain two major toll roads in Puerto Rico. This is the first public-private partnership project developed under the Puerto Rico Public Private Partnerships Act of 2009.
- Serving as bond counsel and underwriter’s counsel in bond issuances of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and its agencies and instrumentalities, such as Puerto Rico Public Buildings Authority, Puerto Rico Municipal Finance Agency, Puerto Rico Housing Finance Authority, Puerto Rico Infrastructure Finance Agency, Puerto Rico Industrial, Tourist, Educational, Medical and Environmental Control Facilities Financing Authority (AFICA) and Puerto Rico Public Finance Corporation.
- Advising the Puerto Rico Housing Finance Authority in debt financing and regulatory matters.
- Acts 20 & 22
- Aviation and Aerospace
- Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring
- Corporate & Commercial Finance
- Distribution & Franchising
- Government Affairs
- Infrastructure/Private-Public Partnerships
- International & Cross Border Transactions
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- PROMESA Task Force
- Securities & Public Finance
News & Publications
- McV NewsAugust 28, 2017
- McV NewsJuly 27, 2017
- An McV AlertOctober 18, 2016
- Ricardo J García-Negrón participates as panelist during Grupo Guayacan’s 20th Anniversary ConferenceOctober 3, 2016
- Samuel T. Céspedes Jr. speaks about Puerto Rico’s Oversight Board and its interaction with the Puerto Rico government.Corporate NewsAugust 15, 2016
- July 14, 2016
- June 7, 2016
- 17 McV Attorneys listed in The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico© 2016September 11, 2015
- Twenty-six McV Attorneys Recognized in Chambers & Partners Latin America GuideJune 22, 2015
- McV serves as local counsel in Liberty Global’s acquisition of Choice Cable TVDecember 10, 2014
- McV NewsOctober 4, 2017
- An McV Tax AlertJuly 19, 2017
- FAFFA Approves Regulation On Procedures For Compliance With PROMESA-Certified Fiscal Plans and BudgetsAn McV Corporate AlertMay 26, 2017
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertMay 5, 2017
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertApril 5, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs AlertMarch 22, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs and Tax AlertMarch 8, 2017
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertFebruary 24, 2017
- An McV Government Affairs and Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertJanuary 30, 2017
- An McV Bankruptcy & Debt Restructuring AlertJanuary 13, 2017
- An McV Securities & Tax AlertDecember 19, 2016
- An McV Government Affairs AlertNovember 9, 2016
- McV NewsSeptember 1, 2016
- An McV Corporate AlertJune 22, 2016
- Fifth Round of Amendments Easing Cuba Sanctions Regulations Issued Prior to President Obama’s Historic Trip to CubaMarch 16, 2016
- An McV Corporate AlertMarch 11, 2016
- Retail Consumer Laws, November 30, 2015
- Governor Files Bill to create Board for the Financial Supervision and Economic Recovery of Puerto RicoGovernment Affairs, October 21, 2015
Member, Policy Committee
Leader, Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Team
- Commonwealth of Puerto Rico
Bachelor's Degree, School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University
J.D., Columbia Law School
Puerto Rico Bar Association
Puerto Rico Notaries Association