When some of world’s best-known retailers and restaurateurs open for business in Puerto Rico, they turn to McConnell Valdés for strategic and comprehensive counsel. With its keen knowledge and understanding of the complexities of Puerto Rico commercial law, our Retail Practice team is able to advise retailers both before and after they open their doors on a full spectrum of issues.
Our team understands the Puerto Rico retail industry – from the big picture to individual client needs – and provides clients with responsive, effective, and cost-efficient solutions at every step of the way, from becoming a newly established entity to franchising a retail concept to opening businesses in multiple new markets.
Composed of lawyers from our Real Estate & Finance, Environmental, Energy & Land Use, Labor & Employment, Tax, and Litigation Practice groups, our team is well positioned to take a multi-disciplinary approach in delivering a full suite of services to business clients who provide a range of goods and services to Puerto Rico consumers. We are thoroughly experienced with issues that are unique to retailers, such as retail wage-and-hour matters, surveillance policies, and customer complaints.
Our seasoned team litigators have a proven track record in protecting and enforcing retailers’ trademarks and other intellectual property assets. They regularly obtain favorable outcomes in defending retailers in administrative matters before local government agencies, such as the Department of Consumer Affairs (DACO) and the Office of Monopolistic Affairs of the Puerto Rico Justice Department.
Our success is amply recognized. Several team members are ranked as leading lawyers by Chambers and Partners Latin America, and are included among The Best Lawyers in Puerto Rico 2016.
What We Do
The McConnell Valdés Retail Consumer Laws team counsels clients on issues involving:
- Advertising, contests and sweepstakes
- Consumer protection
- Franchising and licensing
- Intellectual property
- Internet commerce
- Labor and employment
- Tax laws
- Zoning and permits
Representative Clients & Matters
Our client list includes some of the world's top retailers:
News & Publications
- Court of First Instance Dismisses Complaint for Discrimination Based on Retailer’s Online Shipping PolicyFebruary 18, 2016
- Dora Peñagarícano discusses impact of DACO’s new Advertising RegulationsJuly 21, 2015
- An McV Tax AlertOctober 26, 2016
- An McV Tax AlertOctober 4, 2016
- An McV Tax AlertJune 15, 2016
- An McV Tax AlertJune 3, 2016
- March 8, 2016
- February 2, 2016
- Retail Consumer Laws, November 30, 2015
- Paper Format Returns No Longer Available for Sales and Use Tax ReportingAugust 3, 2015
- DACO Issues New Advertising RegulationJune 25, 2015
- DACO Issues New RegulationJune 11, 2015
- Tax Free Holidays AnnouncedJune 2, 2015
- Tax & Retail, January 12, 2015
- Sales Tax Holidays for Uniforms and School Supplies AnnouncedJuly 1, 2014
- Inapplicability of the Closing Act to sales by invitationDecember 10, 2012
- August 10, 2012
- e-Waste Recycling ActJanuary 19, 2012
- Plastic Bags Recycling RegulationDecember 27, 2010
- (Practice Leader)
- (Practice Leader)