The U.S. District Court issued a second amended Order further continuing civil and criminal proceedings that require an in-person hearing until Monday, September 7, 2020.
This amended Order states that:
- All civil and criminal proceedings in the District of Puerto Rico requiring an in-person hearing are continued until Monday, September 7, 2020
- The Court will continue to use its video teleconferencing (“VTC”) or teleconference systems to hold eligible civil and criminal proceedings. During the pendency of this Order, presiding district and magistrate judges may order counsel to provide via motion updates on status of cases before them. Likewise, judges may continue to issue all appropriate case management, dispositive and non-dispositive orders in their cases
- The Court finds that in all criminal cases the ends of justice served by the present continuance outweigh the interests of the parties and the public in a speedy trial, and, therefore shall be excluded under the Speedy Trial Act, 18 U.S.C. § 3161(h)(7)(A)
- Criminal matters before Magistrate Judges, such as initial appearances, arraignments, detention hearings, and the issuance of search warrants, shall continue to be conducted by VTC with the defendant’s consent
- All petty offense Central Violations Bureau hearings are continued until further notice
- The Court extends the terms and conditions of its Visitor Entry Protocol until September 7, 2020
- All employees and visitors, including but not limited to members of the bar, press and public, are required to wear a face mask or face covering while in the premises of the Clemente Ruiz Nazario United States Courthouse and the Federico Degetau Federal Office Building in Hato Rey
- The Clerk’s Office will continue to operate with only essential personnel until further notice. The Clerk’s Office Intake Area at the Federico Degetau Federal Office Building will continue to operate on a limited schedule of Tuesdays and Fridays from 9:00AM to 4:00PM
- Court-hosted naturalization events scheduled before September7, 2020 are cancelled. This order does not, however, impact the authority of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service to conduct administrative naturalization ceremonies
- All non-case related events,including but not limited to public tours, administration of oaths to attorneys, and committee meetings, are cancelled until further notice
The Court may issue other orders concerning future continuances as necessary and appropriate.
The content of this McV Alert has been prepared for information purposes only. It is not intended as, and does not constitute, either legal advice or solicitation of any prospective client. An attorney-client relationship with McConnell Valdés LLC cannot be formed by reading or responding to this McV Alert. Such a relationship may be formed only by express agreement with McConnell Valdés LLC.