On January 5, 2021 the U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico issued its sixth amended Order continuing civil and criminal proceedings until Friday, March 5, 2021.
In summary, the amended order states that:
- The Court will continue to use video and/or teleconferencing systems (“VTC”) in all eligible civil and criminal proceedings until March 5, 2021.
- Under certain circumstances, and with the approval of the Chief Judge, certain critical in-person proceedings may be held.
- The Court finds that in all criminal cases, the ends of justice served by the present continuance outweigh the interests of the parties and the public in a speedy trial, and, therefore shall be excluded under the Speedy Trial Act, 18 U.S.C. § 3161(h)(7)(A).
- Grand Jury proceedings will continue as scheduled.
- Jury Trials and the Administration of Oath to Attorneys will continue to be held on a limited basis.
- Jury Qualification proceedings may be held when needed.
- Criminal matters before Magistrate Judges will be conducted by VTC with defendant’s consent.
- Petty offense Central Violations Bureau hearings are continued until further notice.
- This order extended the terms and conditions of the Visitor Entry Protocol until March 5, 2021.
- All employees and visitors are required to wear a face mask or face covering while in the premises of the Clemente Ruiz Nazario United States Courthouse, the Federico Degetau Federal Office Building in Hato Rey, and the José A. Toledo United States Courthouse in Old San Juan.
- The Clerk’s Office will continue to operate with only essential personnel. The Clerk’s Office Intake Area at the Federico Degetau Federal Office Building will continue to operate on Tuesdays and Fridays from 9:00a.m. to 4:00p.m.
- During regular business hours, all court employees will telework, process court filings, issue orders and judgments, schedule hearings and conferences, and be available for telephone calls and emails.
- Naturalization Ceremonies will be held via VTC. On-site Naturalization Ceremonies are continued until further notice.
- All non-case related events, including but not limited to public tours, and committee meetings are cancelled until further notice.
The content of this McV Alert has been prepared for information purposes only. It is not intended as, and does not constitute, either legal advice or solicitation of any prospective client. An attorney-client relationship with McConnell Valdés LLC cannot be formed by reading or responding to this McV Alert. Such a relationship may be formed only by express agreement with McConnell Valdés LLC.